Heating a big chest freezer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageCT

Reaction score
I recently aquired a 20.4cu ft chest freezer and it is in a garage (in the cold).
I heard around the forums that a ceramic bulb may help to raise the ambient temp of the freezer.

I was wondering if the bulb should be mounted IN the freezer and what size bulb would help to raise an ambient temp in a freezer that size significantly...
Would this be safe with the moistness of a freezer?

Also how would I get this temp to spread around the freezer? Wouldnt it mostly heat the carboys in its direct path instead of the entire freezer?

1.) If you don;t mount the bulb IN the freezer what is it going to heat?

2.) A 75 watt bulb can heat a 3 foot by 3 foot by 1.5 foot box to 80 degrees from a mean temp of 70.

3.) They are originally designed for use in reptile terrariums/vivariums so, yes, tehy handle humidity.

4.) Muffin fan or mount it low and let nature mix the air for you.

All that said, if you are wanting to use this for fermentation and your box is subject to extremes of cold it may likely be only enough to keep the insides from freezing. For a much quicker response I opted for a UL listed wet locations ceramic bathroom heater made by Sunbeam. Cost me $14 at WalMart.

For a much quicker response I opted for a UL listed wet locations ceramic bathroom heater made by Sunbeam. Cost me $14 at WalMart.

Something like this may be optimal since the freezer will be surrounded with around freezing temps since it would be in my garage.
Any advice as to how to find one of these "wet location" heaters? (can't find anything on google).

Hey - that little mini heater is very cool. Add an eBay thermostat and you'd be all set.

Perhaps but that sounds like serious overkill for an insulated compartment. I've done the 60W lightbulb in a 15.8 cu. ft. and it did the job perfectly.
Yeah, the 1500W heater sticks on and it can cause all sorts of problems. Most chest freezers don't use plastic liners but it could still melt the blown in foam insulation and the plastic liner lid. I would NEVER use 1500 watts in a fridge with a plastic liner. Most appliance repairmen had to give up their heat guns when they started coming out.

My apologies, I failed to mention that I do run my box heater off of a Ranco dual Stage. Seemed obvious to me since we are talking about "controlled fermentation". And the Ranco probe is placed in a thermowell that is in the wort.

The freezer, of course, is plugged into the other stage of the controller.

My apologies, I failed to mention that I do run my box heater off of a Ranco dual Stage. Seemed obvious to me since we are talking about "controlled fermentation". And the Ranco probe is placed in a thermowell that is in the wort.

The freezer, of course, is plugged into the other stage of the controller.

I would have a probe (ranco 2stage) placed in the center not touching anything so I can control the ambient temperature (This should do for the control of lagers & lagering). Then if needed I would have belts on any ales or new lagers that still need to ferment (with a probe from a seperate temp setter in a thermowell).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished the temp. controller for my fridge. Not sure of the capacity but it is pretty near 20cf. I did the simple 60 watt light bulb in a paint can build and it has been keeping my fridge at 70f even though the ambient is around 50f. I didn't want to shell out the 25-30 bucks for a ceramic bulb.

Back