Heat pad towards end of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisharvey

Reaction score
Have a very controlled set up and keep the beer temp at 68 degrees for the most part in my chamber. I brewed a big mad elf clone and fermentation stalled. I was told by my local HBS to use some yeast energizer and putti to a heat pad. I'm in week 3.

I'm scared of the high 70's temp if not 80s throwing off my beer. Thoughts? He told me this late it won't have off flavors due to high heat.

Have a very controlled set up and keep the beer temp at 68 degrees for the most part in my chamber. I brewed a big mad elf clone and fermentation stalled. I was told by my local HBS to use some yeast energizer and putti to a heat pad. I'm in week 3.

I'm scared of the high 70's temp if not 80s throwing off my beer. Thoughts? He told me this late it won't have off flavors due to high heat.

He's right. Once the fermentation slows down you can bring the temperature of the beer up without any off flavors and it usually helps get you a lower FG.

I think 80's would be the extreeme. Bringing the temp up after active fermentation is part of my process and I have not tasted any negative effects.

I always bring up my temps about 24 hours after krausen drops. I ramp up slowly (1*F/Day) until I hit 70*F, and then hold it there. I use an electric heating pad and STC-1000 temp controller. Primarily you dont want hot temps during the early stages of fermentations while the cells are still propagating, as this is when a lot of the flavors are being developed. Once krausen falls, you should be able to gently increase temp; dont rapidly increase temp because the yeast dont like this.
You could also gently swirl the yeast cake up. If you are using a highly flocculant strain of yeast, a lot of it can fall out of suspension before it finished fermenting.
Lastly you could make a large yeast starter, and repitch the yeast.

T-58 dry yeast 2 packs no starter. Kept at 68 for 2 weeks. Sprinkled in after 10 min aeration.

It stayed 68 for 2 weeks added cherry juice for a week. Stalled. Added some yeast energizer. And was told to add a heat pad to really bring down FG.

How much does a heat pad in controlled environment raise temp?

Back