Heady Clone BIAB...too high OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPME

Reaction score
So I tried out the AG Heady clone kit from NB, but used the BIAB method. The recipe called to hit 1.070. To me that's a little low for a IIPA. The kit was for 6 gal. So, I only made a 5.5 gal batch, hoping to slightly increase abv. Well, it worked, but too much. Was hoping for around 1.080, ended up at 1.090. I guess I'm confused at how I got that high by using a little less water. I started with 7.5 gallons for the mash, and added a bout 3/4 gallon to reach 5.5 which is what I wanted in the primary. 60 min boil, lost about a gallon or a touch more from boil off.

I'm not one to really get into numbers and plug stuff into beersmith and all, but just curious if anyone has some insight how I got so high with out getting down to the nitty gritty of the process.

Thanks,
Smitty

So you had about 4.75 gallons post-boil, and you added water to that.

4.75 gallons of 1.089 beer will dilute to 1.070 with 1.25 gallons of water added (6 gallons total).

4.75 gallons of 1.104 beer will dilute to 1.090 with 0.75 gallons of water added (5.5 gallons total).

I brewed this same beer BIAB last month and I am enjoying it now. What an easy to drink DIPA. This was my second 5 gal batch. I mashed for 90 minutes using NB crush with 8 gal of water. I did 90 minutes because I missed my OG on the Mustache Envy recipe doing a 60 minute mash(can't wait to buy my own mill.) I ended up hitting 1072. I don't have my FG handy but my calculations gave me a 8.1?% ABV.

From your calculations you appear to have boiled off more than 1 gal of wort. This may be where your increase came from. 7.5 - 0.9(grains) - 1.1(boil off) = 5.5 gal. You stated you were down to 4.75 gal.

So I tried out the AG Heady clone kit from NB, but used the BIAB method. The recipe called to hit 1.070. To me that's a little low for a IIPA. The kit was for 6 gal. So, I only made a 5.5 gal batch, hoping to slightly increase abv. Well, it worked, but too much. Was hoping for around 1.080, ended up at 1.090. I guess I'm confused at how I got that high by using a little less water. I started with 7.5 gallons for the mash, and added a bout 3/4 gallon to reach 5.5 which is what I wanted in the primary. 60 min boil, lost about a gallon or a touch more from boil off.

I'm not one to really get into numbers and plug stuff into beersmith and all, but just curious if anyone has some insight how I got so high with out getting down to the nitty gritty of the process.

Thanks,
Smitty

You're gonna have to give us a little better recount of your volumes and associated gravities. Was the 1.090 before or after dilution from 4.75 gallons to 5.5 gallons?

Thanks for the input everyone. Yeah the 1.090 was after. Probably boiled off more than I thought and underestimated grain absorption. Oh well, gonna be much stronger beer now. Probably gonna do some additional dry hopping above the 5 ounces it calls for. 1.5 more weeks and we'll see. Last I checked it was down to 1.016. I'm estimating a 1.014'ish range.

Back