Heading to Washington DC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 194292

Reaction score
Going over for a long weekend 1/9-12. Kind of staying just out of the beltway in Centreville area. Any suggestions on places for good craft beer in that area? Taking metro into DC all day Sunday so that area as well.

There's a dogfish ale house in Fairfax (~20min west of DC....without traffic....) its pretty sweet and has some banging food. My favs were a 60min Chili and some brats battered in their India Brown Ale served on pretzel buns. They also have a lot of beers on tap you can't get at stores

In Manassas (next town West of Centreville) there are two small breweries that are really nice. Ones called Lone Wolf Brewing, I forget the other one, but last time I was there it was bumping. They even have nerdy board games (Settlers of Catan, anyone?)

For stores, best place I know of would be Total Wine in Manassas. I've been to 5 or 6 Total Wines and this one has a great selection. Its crammed in though

But I love centreville when I visit my parents who live in the area. There's a huge korean population there and there are ridiculously delicious korean bakeries and BBQ places. I'll be there for Xmas, but returning before New Years. If I was able to stay longer, I'd try to meet up and give you some of my beer. I check a giant suitcase with about different brews every time I visit family for the holidays. I chuckle when I see the TSA slip that my bag was inspected. Just a bunch of bottles and packaging material...

In Ashburn there is Lost Rhino, and if you make it out to the Leesburg area I have heard really good things about Adroit Theory. I am told they make more larger bodied beers, but that is coming from the BMC types. I read that as flavorful.

If you decide to risk the bigger asshat drivers and venture inside the beltway there are more places that can be reccomended. There are some pretty decent brewpubs you can stop off at. You can find a fair few brewpubs around. I would mention more but I am a bad beer dork and havent visited too many of them.

Most of the ones I have visited arent really metro accessible.
Others I have liked are Port City, Dogfish Head Tavern, Mad fox, DC Brau
Lets see if we can get some more opinions by prodding @banesong and @Qhrumphf to this thread.

In DC they opened Bluejackets about 1.5 years ago. Probably have 15-20 beers on tap. I'd say much of what they have is a little on the hoppier side... But it is a pretty impressive micro-brewery just between Nationals Park and the Washington Navy Yard.

No particular order on these, focusing on smaller brew pubs, breweries and beer bars (brewery if not otherwise specified). Some have food, some don't. Check their websites/facebook, etc, for more details.

For beer, Total Wine is good, as is Norm's in Vienna, and Whole Foods in Fair Lakes (Fairfax).

VA

A couple of outside the beltway options -
Old Ox Brewing
Ocelot Brewing
Beltway Brewing
Lost Rhino
Tin Cup
Heritage Brewing
Old Bust Head
Forge Brew Works
Bad Wold

Inside the beltway
Capitol City (brew pub)
Port City
Mad Fox (brew pub)

DC
DC Brau
Chocolate City
Atlas Brew Works
3 Stars Brewing Co
Right Proper (Brew Pub)
Blue Jacket
Meridian Pint (Great beer bar)

MD, on the border of DC
Franklin's Country Store (brew pub)

Awesome! Thanks a lot! I go over there about 3-4 times a year. Shameless plug - I'm a Beachbody Coach - the P90X, Insanity, etc. people? Anyhow, we have quarterly meetings called Super Saturday all around the nation. Most of my closer coaches - meaning my upline and downline are in the Va/DC metro area, so I like to go over to that one. Plus my buddy who is a top coach used to live here in OH, now in Florida is coming up as a speaker so I get to see him as well. And lastly, my good friend and fellow coach who is in Michigan is going and her and her fiancé go all over the place to breweries in MI - like every weekend. So we are looking for some places to go. I'm really liking the sound of Bluejackets.

Thanks!

@banesong covered the bases pretty nicely. Corcoran Brewing is also out in Purcellville right next to Adroit Theory.

As far as "highly recommended" I'd hit up Mad Fox in Falls Church (for the beer, not the food), Port City in Alexandria, and Forge Brew Works in Lorton. You need to come back later so you can add Fair Winds to the list (while we're doing shameless plugs ;)).

I have to agree with Madfox, great beer. I've also just tried denizens brewing company in Silver Spring, rock solid, but only two beers were less than 6% - makes it rough on the ride home...

Back