Heading to Portland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahines08

Reaction score
I'm heading to Portland for along weekend of drinking. Was wanting some help on some great beer stops. Craft bars or breweries

I'm heading to Portland for along weekend of drinking. Was wanting some help on some great beer stops. Craft bars or breweries

Good Restaurants:

Just a few of my favorites: Little Big Burger, Waffle Window, The Screendoor, The Country Cat, Andinas, Thai Fresh

Also lots of nice food cart pods - basically a grouping of a dozen or so food carts with outdoor seating. My favorites are the ones on 45th & Belmont and 12th & Hawthorne. Pyro Pizza is fantastic and one of my personal favorites.

Good Breweries:

Probably too many to be listed honestly. Some of my personal favorites are Deschutes, Upright Brewing, HUB, Laurelwood, Cascade, and Breakside. There's really no "bad" breweries that I can think of off the top of my head except for McMenamins.

Most of the breweries in Portland are actually pretty small and don't give great tours if they do them at all. Widmer Brothers offers one of the better tours in town. You get to tour their facility and get a tasting of a few of their beers as well as a small Widmer glass that you get to take home.

Whenever I go to Portland, I always spend a day at Edgefield. The beer is nothing exceptional, but the place is amazing. Brewery, Winery, Distillery, 23 hole executive pitch-n-putt golf course, multiple bars and restaurants on the grounds, theater, spa for the wife, concerts, and so much more... Check it out online here. So many great places to eat and drink in Portland, definitely one of my favorite cities to visit.

Ya edge field and Kennedy school are pretty cool, but mcmmenamims beer sucks.

Places to go to:

Hair of the dog - they have really big bold beers.

Cascade barrel house - known for their sours. I recommend sample sizes or several different ones. Burbonic plague is my fav out of the rest.

Green dragon - not a brewery but a huge tap room 40 or so taps. You can try a lot of local stuff in one spot.

=== all three above are close by

Breakside (kinda far out from most of the others)
Hopworks (world class ipa)
Bridgeport
The commons
Amnesia
Base camp (cool spot, decent beer)
There are so many to list...

If you go over the water to Vancouver check out heathens if they're open while you're there.

Bottle shops to visit:

Johns market place- huge selection, staff leaves plenty to desire most the time

Belmont station- cool helpful staff, good selection, but not as big as johns

NWIPA - small bottle shop in SE with 5 rotating taps... guess what kind of beer?
(one of my personal favorites)

Breakside - great beer and good food too.
Cascade brewing and barrel house - for sours
Green dragon - like a block from cascade, they have like 40 taps, decent food

Belmont station - ~20 unique taps and a great bottle shop.
Migration - Tasty IPA

Food:
Yakuza (5:00-10:00)- order the $15 burger, you won't be sorry. They also serve up this beet martini that's pretty tasty. It can get full in there so you might want to call ahead and let them know you're coming.

We rented bikes when we were there in July last year. We did:

Day1: Prost -> Breakside -> Concordia Ale House -> Bottles -> Laurelwood -> Migration -> Prost (so we could have Big Ass Sandwiches)
Day 2: HOTD -> Cascade -> Green Dragon -> Commons -> Apex -> Gigantic -> Widmer (For Dinner)
Day 3: Fifth Quandrant -> Hopworks Bike Bar -> Occidental -> Upright

We rode about 18 miles/day give or take.

The first night, before we picked up our bikes, we walked to Deschutes -> Bailey's -> Pints

We stayed in the Irvington neighborhood.

Great trip! The next time, I'd probably reduced the number of bars/breweries one day and do more sightseeing. I'd probably also spend more time hanging out in a couple of the places and hit less. It was a bit too much of have one beer and then on to the next place.

Last edited:
+1 Rogue, The Commons, Deschutes, Base Camp,

-1 Green Dragon - bartender was a dick and can suck it

I can't believe someone mentioned John's market...used to go there all the time to pick up kegs and 22s. Great place, kinda off the beaten track tho

:mug:

We rented bikes when we were there in July last year. We did:

Prost -> Breakside -> Concordia Ale House -> Bottles -> Laurelwood -> Migration -> Prost (so we could have Big Ass Sandwiches)
HOTD -> Cascade -> Green Dragon -> Commons -> Apex -> Gigantic -> Widmer (For Dinner)
Fifth Quandrant -> Hopworks Bike Bar -> Occidental -> Upright

We rode about 18 miles/day give or take.

The first night, before we picked up our bikes, we walked to Deschutes -> Bailey's -> Pints

We stayed in the Irvington neighborhood.

Great trip! The next time, I'd probably reduced the number of bars/breweries one day and do more sightseeing. I'd probably also spend more time hanging out in a couple of the places and hit less. It was a bit too much of have one beer and then on to the next place.

Holy cow - that's an epic brew crawl in one day. My wife and I rented a tandem a few years ago which we took down to Oak's Park an then hit Cascade -> Green Dragon (free shirt & pint on your birthday!) -> Burnside on the way back. Portland is extremely bike friendly and it's a great way to get around. The city provides free bike maps and almost any bicycle shop will have them to give away. There are dedicated bike roads that run through most of the city (especially true in inner SE & NE parts of the city) which means you can get around with minimal interaction with traffic.

Biking in Portland isn't perfect but it's a pretty amazing model for what American cities could do to become more bike friendly.

Holy cow - that's an epic brew crawl in one day. My wife and I rented a tandem a few years ago which we took down to Oak's Park an then hit Cascade -> Green Dragon (free shirt & pint on your birthday!) -> Burnside on the way back. Portland is extremely bike friendly and it's a great way to get around. The city provides free bike maps and almost any bicycle shop will have them to give away. There are dedicated bike roads that run through most of the city (especially true in inner SE & NE parts of the city) which means you can get around with minimal interaction with traffic.

Biking in Portland isn't perfect but it's a pretty amazing model for what American cities could do to become more bike friendly.

Sorry, that's three days. I'll edit my post.

I had an Awesome trip. 7 breweries in 2 days not bad. Thanks for all the suggestion. Base camp and alameda by far my favorites

We started day one after getting of the airplane and went to fire on the mountain, beer was good not a huge selection( we had a pretty good nacho there), then we heading to alameda brewing for great beer fun atmosphere and great bartender and waitress. Then we went to a pizza place. They take no reservations and once the dough is gone for the day they stop selling. There was a line out the door. Day 2 we started at cascade really was very disappointed with the beer, I went to s.f. beer week and went to an event by cascade and drank some real good sour, but all i tried were very disappointing at there brewery. Then off to green dragon they had on tap a beer from local home breweries that they let come and brew on there pilot system and then sell it. It was an IPA very good( made with the c hops). Then to the rogue nation store less than a block away lots of cool stuff. Next stop base camp. Probably one of the best breweries in my opinion. We had a sampler of all there beer, there was not a bad one that I could remember. Got two growler to take home. Then off to Burnside brewery by far the worst of all that we stopped at. Didn't care for anything I tried there. Then of to commons the had just open a second tasting room or maybe moving location. They opened the doors for the 1st time at 5:00 and by 5:30 big line out the door. Had one beer and called it a day. The next day we went to fatheads for lunch and another sample amazing sandwiches and had a cask beer there. They had one of the best selection of beer some there own and some guest taps. I love portland

Latest posts

Back