Heading to Portland and looking for brewery/taproom suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmatson

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are heading up to Portland for a long weekend of beer and food carts and I am hoping to get some suggestions of breweries and/or taprooms to check out. We will be staying near the Lloyd District and won't have a car so we will be focusing on places that are easy to get to near downtown. She is a big Deschutes fan so we will head there, but I want to check out more of the regional beers that we don't get do where in Southern California. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Cascade Barrel house, The Commons, Sasquatch brewery, Basecamp brewing, Bailey's taproom, Olde Town Brewing, hop works urban brewery. Deschutes has a pub in Portland, but the main place is in bend. If you can get it where you're from, I would focus on other places.

Cheers and have a great trip

The Cascade Barrel House is not to be missed, my favorite spot apart from Hair of the Dog (they have all their limited beers available in bottles). Hop Works was awesome as well. The Horse Brass, while nothing "awesome" compared to the taprooms of today, in my opinion is a right of passage if you ask an old traveler like me.

For food, the Waffle Window was an awesome break (and some much needed starch) for my trip.

As far as beer, I don't know if you get Upright, but they had some of the best bottles.

You would be amiss not to hit up Burnside Brewery. Their beer is fantastic and the their food is simply amazing.

If you are looking for taprooms... The best in town are Apex, bailey's, Belmont station and Beermongers and green dragon saraveza are the best. All have a great vibe and different feel.

Breweries are a different animal all together.

Belmont Station is one of my favorites passing it to and from work, my favorite hike is around Sellwood hitting Philadelphia's, U-Brew, and a ton of other mom-n-pop micro breweries. But that's the best thing about Portland, you can land practically anywhere and be in the middle of many very good breweries.

Go to anyone of the places mentioned. Have some great beer. Walk outside. Pick up a rock. Spin. Throw. Walk to where the rock lands and have more great beer. Repeat.

So many to choose from. It's already been mentioned but it bears repeating: Cascade Barrel House is not to be missed and their large selection of sours is a good change of pace from the majority of the other breweries.

Bierliebhaber said:
Go to anyone of the places mentioned. Have some great beer. Walk outside. Pick up a rock. Spin. Throw. Walk to where the rock lands and have more great beer. Repeat.

+1 to this!

Thanks again to everyone for the great suggestions. We just got back yesterday and had a fantastic beer-filled trip to Portland. I think our favorite spots were Burnside Brewery and The Commons, though there are still many more left to visit on our next trip. Cheers!

We visited breweries and taprooms:

Burnside (x2)
Basecamp
Bailey's
Apex
The commons
Green Dragon
Amnesia

Wish we could have hit more, but that just leaves them for the next trip.

One a side note, we also went to Lardo for lunch; their pork belly and Korea pork shoulder sandwiches are delicious!

Back