Heading to Asheville, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhrobinson

Reaction score
The wife and I are spending a week in and around Asheville next month. What are some of the highlight breweries we should try out?

Wicked weed is a must.
Burial is a must.
Wedge was really good.
Green man was solid.
Thirsty monk is a really cool bar, id recommend it after checking out the breweries.

Also, for food...white duck taco. You'll regret not visiting them haha

Highland, they have festivals there, on a lawn next to the brewery. 45 min west . Innovation brewing in Sylva. Nantahala brewery in Bryson City, they have some good concerts there. Driving back from up there right now.

Wicked weed is a must.
Burial is a must.
Wedge was really good.
Green man was solid.
Thirsty monk is a really cool bar, id recommend it after checking out the breweries.

Also, for food...white duck taco. You'll regret not visiting them haha

my parents are in the area this week and I was looking to have them bring me back some local brews...anything bottled and sold outside of the brewery at bottle shops/stores? I doubt they would be willing to drive around to a bunch breweries buying beer for me on their vacation!

The local grocers have great selections of local beer, some of them even fill growlers.

Growlers are a better bet. Wicked Weed will fill growlers as well. Wicked Weed doesn't bottle a whole lot of their beers.

Oskar Blues is all over and you can get that by the truck loads if you're so inclined.
Get to Highland, a great brewery…they also bottle.

Got a growler of Pisgah brewing IPA last summer in a grocery store, OMG was it good! I read a recent article about a new brewery in town, sounded like it would be fun to check out. When I get home today I'll look it up and send it out.

While Wicked Weed is good, Burial is by far our favorite in town but has very limited hours due to small production of 1 bbl. Wicked Weed just gets super friggin busy since it's a tourist trap but does have a few sours bottled for sale at a premium. One World Brewing is a small 1.5 bbl brewery that just opened and is worth a visit. Wedge is in the River Arts District so if you're in that area already def stop by as they're top quality.

In all the South Slope has quite a few all within walking distance to prevent unnecessary driving. They are: Burial, Twin Leaf, Green Man, Wicked Weed, Hi-Wire and Asheville Brewing Company. If you're in West Asheville there is the Urban Orchard Cider, Oyster House Brewing and Altamont all within a fairly close proximity. North of AVL is the Blue Mtn Pizza & Brewery which makes some very good brews. East of AVL is Pisgah and Lookout in Black Mountain.

For take home beers def check out Brusin' Ales or the Appalachian Vintner. Cheers and enjoy the brews N views :mug:

French Broad had some pretty good offerings. Their barley wine was probably the best I've ever had.

If you're looking for some good places to eat, 12 Bones is a fantastic option too. I believe they sell local fare there too.
Good luck and enjoy!

Here's that article I mentioned a few days ago, it's about what looks to be a cool new brewery that opened in town called Hi-Wire brewery.

http://www.craftbeer.com/featured-brewery/hi-wire-brewing-company

I can also second the 12 Bones recommendation, some of the best barbeque I've had in a long time. Two locations, and the one that is south of town on Sweeten Creek road gets a huge line around lunch time. Hope you have a great time, the dear wife and I love asheville!

But Sierra nevada will be opening their brewery in Mills River which is just 15 min south of asheville near the airport on Aug 3. As mentioned wicked weed is a neat local brewery with a fantastic atmosphere and location. I really like the asheville brewing Co which has multiple locations. Also you can check out wedge, and french broad ( gotta try their wee heavy - good stuff). You can also check out the site where new belgium has struck Ground on craven st. Just below the bowen bridge. Asheville is a neat town that I love to call home. Enjoy your trip and check them all out. Great food as well. Those white duck tacos are good near wedge as mentioned.

But Sierra nevada will be opening their brewery in Mills River which is just 15 min south of asheville near the airport on Aug 3. As mentioned wicked weed is a neat local brewery with a fantastic atmosphere and location. I really like the asheville brewing Co which has multiple locations. Also you can check out wedge, and french broad ( gotta try their wee heavy - good stuff). You can also check out the site where new belgium has struck Ground on craven st. Just below the bowen bridge. Asheville is a neat town that I love to call home. Enjoy your trip and check them all out. Great food as well. Those white duck tacos are good near wedge as mentioned.

Latest posts

Back