Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wefdog

Reaction score
Anyone think using Star San or One Step step cleaning carboys and bottles without rinsing affects head retention?? I have my suspicions...

Lets start about creating/ maintaining good head. I have tried to reword this 3 times but alas there it. Is.

Technical term is foam stability, if you want something more direct. Probably won't get as much attention though...

They are no rinse, so I don't see why they would cause a problem. Maybe there is a significant amount left in the fermenter it could have a negative impact. I would look more at your recipe. Carapills? Wheat? Lots of hops?

wefdog said:
Anyone think using Star San or One Step step cleaning carboys and bottles without rinsing affects head retention?? I have my suspicions...

Lets start about creating/ maintaining good head. I have tried to reword this 3 times but alas there it. Is.

I've never had any trouble with star San, from start to finish! I've had it foaming out of my keg when racking! No problem with foam, head whatever you want to call it!!

CBMbrewer said:
They are no rinse, so I don't see why they would cause a problem. Maybe there is a significant amount left in the fermenter it could have a negative impact. I would look more at your recipe. Carapills? Wheat? Lots of hops?
Lots of wheat.

wefdog said:
Lots of wheat.

And my concern is the retention. I have no problem getting lots of the "foam". It only lasts a few minutes.

And my concern is the retention. I have no problem getting lots of the "foam". It only lasts a few minutes.

The metric used by judges and other beer professionals is that if at least half the head remains after one minute then it is good head retention. If your head is lasting a few minutes I'd say you're in good shape.

I don't believe one step is a true 'no rinse' sanitizer. I recommend star San (don't fear the foam!) and a little wheat or carafoam.

Back