Head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnyb722

Reaction score
How do you make beer with a good head?

I just finished a Belgian Ale, force carbonated and still no head. I made sure I had a clean glass, no head? I am using 7 psi as a serving co2 pressure at 40 deg f. No head. The beer tastes good so I will drink it anyway, but a little foam would be good.

7 psi at 40 deg will give you 2.0 volumes which is a bit low for that style. How long have you had it on the gas? May just need more time but I'd also probably aim for more like 2.4-2.6 volumes for that (11-14 psi at that temp).

Edit - just reread your post. Is the beer actually carbed and there's just no head or not carbed enough also?

Up the psi, or shortin the line. Are ya sure its carbed up, ya seeing bubbles? Never had a no foam/head problem. Whats your carb procedure?

I kegged the beer last Sun. After filling, I purged the keg. I put in 30 psi of co2, rolled the keg on the floor for about 15 min, that was not as fun to do as you would think. I then put it in the fridge for 5 days. Yesterday I turned on the co2, but had to work so I didn't pull any beer till today.

There is bubbles in the beer, it seems to be carbonated, I just don't get a head?

Ok, found my problem. Step one, ensure the co2 bottle is on, don't just use the in line valve!

Thanks everyone!

Got really excited, didn't turn on the co2 bottle. It's the little things.

That reminds me btw. The first beer I kegged I put the CO2 on 12 psi for a week. After a week, I took a pull....flat as hell. Thought I had a leak. Checked everything. Opened the keg, checked all the o rings, could not find the issue. Turns out, never turned the CO2 tank on. :eek:

Hahahaaha! Glad I am not the only one. Felt stupid as hell. I did take a pull tonight after work, nice head and much tastier!

Back