Head space and trub - rack sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carboywonder

Reaction score
Hi all,

Fairly new to sour brewing. I have a dark sour going currently (brewed 3 weeks ago, pitched Roeselare) I'm wondering if I should leave it in primary on the trub or transfer it to a secondary. I was leaning towards leaving it on the trub for at least the first 9 months or so until I decide to add fruit, but I have a good deal of head space in the current carboy.

Should I rack it to a smaller carboy? Does the amount of head space pictured below raise any concern? When I transferred, some kettle break material got into the fermenter as well. Anything to worry about with that if I leave it in the primary carboy? I plan to add oak, if I rack I will probably add the recommended amount from American Sour Beers. Otherwise I might rack and add oak down the road.

Thanks!

View attachment 1422568455606.jpg

I'll offer up a reply, but just know that I'm basing this off of posts I've seen here on HBT - I am no sour expert, just a novice :D

My understanding is that you want to keep the beer on the Roeselare yeast cake for a while, if not the whole time. IIRC, the brett will deal with any autolyzing sacc yeast flavors. Additionally, it allows bacteria time to do their job since they move fairly slowly with that blend. I seem to recall reading that you're looking at about a year with that blend, and I think you leave it on the cake the entire time.

...then again I may be wrong because I'm only a noob in brewing sour beers.

Back