Head retention and carbonation problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadux

Reaction score
So i have to separated problems but decided to make only one thread for clarity's sake.

Overall my beers dont have a lasting head. My darker beers such as stout and brown ales have a better foam stability but it still only lingers for a couple minutes. In lighter colored beers even less. THe problem is not head formation. The head froms adequately, it just doesnt last long enough. I have read that using soaps may cause this, but i still dont use soap on the bottles and rinse glasses before use. I do use soaps on the buckets but there is no way around that and i try my best to rinse several times until no soap is left in the bucket and then a couple more rinses after that. I dont know if i can get any advice on why that appens and how to work around the problem.

Also i have been drinking a couple beers that i carbonated high, at 2.6-2.7 vol od CO2 (fits the style, a blonde ale and a vienna malt ale fermented with clean ale yeast, somewhat lager-like). the beers taste good and dont feel overcarbed, but no matter what i do when i open them they overfoam from the bottle, rousing all the sedimented yeast. If i manage to very quickly pour the beer then its fine but i dont understand why this could happen. I was thiking on making some wheats with around 3.5 volumes but if that is gonna happen too i might just skip them... again any info on why/how to solve it would be appreciated

It's likely you are fermenting too warm. What is your typical fermentation temperature? If 68 F (20 C) or above, try to cool it down to like 65 F (18 C) or even less if you can. I would recommend draping a wet t-shirt over the fermenter with a fan blowing on it. The evaporation will cool the fermentation up to 5 degrees F (3 degrees C).

Also i have been drinking a couple beers that i carbonated high, at 2.6-2.7 vol od CO2 (fits the style, a blonde ale and a vienna malt ale fermented with clean ale yeast, somewhat lager-like). the beers taste good and dont feel overcarbed, but no matter what i do when i open them they overfoam from the bottle, rousing all the sedimented yeast. If i manage to very quickly pour the beer then its fine but i dont understand why this could happen. I was thiking on making some wheats with around 3.5 volumes but if that is gonna happen too i might just skip them... again any info on why/how to solve it would be appreciated

How many days have these beers bottle conditioned and how many days have the bottles been chilled before pouring? Too short of primary time can mean a lot of suspended sediments are going into the bottles. Too short of conditioning time will not allow the sediments enough time to drop out. Several days of chilling/cold crashing after conditioning will drop the sediments to the bottom of the bottle. The sediments being poured into the glass create nucleation points for the CO2 resulting in excess foaming.

Long primary time and long conditioning time with excess foaming could also indicate an infection. Could be a combination of problems causing the problem. Have you checked the SG of a beer to see if it is lower than when you bottled?

I would also eliminate soap in your brewing. Try PBW for cleaning.

thanks all for the replies, i'll answer:
@MSK_Chess: i am not really "concerned" but i wonder if that could be the problem or not, thus i asked. I might give it a try, thanks for the suggestion, and see if anything changes.

@flars: This beers were bottled fast (part of a trial to see how fast i could have beer since pitch to glass) so they have more sediment than usual. Its still not too much and i selected a very floculant strain for this since i guessed i would end with a bit more sediment. The yeast has however dropped from the bottles nicely. I dont cold condition them longer. THey have been in the bottles for a while (1 month or so). Before a couple of weeks, i tried them and there was no overfoaming. Later there is. I usually cold condition them 2-4 days but even after a week in the fridge they tend to foam. Even with the extra sediment, if i pour before it starts to foam i dont get nearly any/no yeast in the glass, they are the clearest of my beers. Its very floculant and sediments great.
Imade sure the fg was constant when bottled and as i said they dont feel particularly overcarbed. On the high end for ales but not bad. In one of the cases i did recheck the fg after a week in the bottles, no variation

The sediments could act as nucleation points in the glass but the overfoaming happens in the bottle. I open it and the foam starts to rise after 2-3 seconds until it pours out of the bottle...

@dmtaylor I didnt understand what would fermentation temperatures affect, head retention or overfoaming in the bottles. Would be great if you could point me out in the right direction. Average temp is 21-ish (fluctuates a bit 22-18 or so...). Celsius degrees that is. Ale yeast, and within the recomeded temps

Last edited:
I didnt understand what would fermentation temperatures affect, head retention or overfoaming in the bottles. Would be great if you could point me out in the right direction. Average temp is 21-ish (fluctuates a bit 22-18 or so...). Celsius degrees that is. Ale yeast, and within the recomeded temps

That's too hot for most ale yeasts. Like I said, try 17-18 C. Fermenting too hot will hurt head retention, due to higher fusel alcohols being generated... which could also give you headaches if you consume more than 2 or 3 pints in a session.

Try adding a little Carafoam, or flaked barley. Maybe 5%. That should yield more head-retention.

Proteins that aren't lost in the trub will bind with hop acids to yield foam. Adding some grains will help as will using hops with a moderate alpha acid level for bittering. Let the beer bottle carb sufficiently helps, too. Serving temperature can also affect your foam presentation because gas will stay in solution when the beer is chilled. I've had stouts show very little foam when cold, but have a good foam stand slightly chilled or served at room temperature.

Without fully understanding the specifics of your recipe, brewing water, yeast, etc. Try adding .5 pound of Carafoam to your next batch and mash at 154F. This should give the wort more body and help with head retention. In general a drier highly attenuated beer is likely to have less lacing and head retention. But some beer styles when brewed correctly do not necessarily require long head retention in the glass.

Latest posts

Back