head/carbination question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tahoetavern

Reaction score
So I finally tried my first bottle of my first batch last night. Caribou Slobber brown ale from NB. It didn't really have any head, and the carbination seemed low. I used Palmers sugar calc. And dropped from the included 5oz to 4 oz of priming sugar because I didn't want to over carb. Never really had a home brew before this so I don't know if I'm just being paranoid. What can I do, to see if I messed up? Thanks

How long has it been carbing up? For most brews 3 weeks is needed to get good carbonation, then a few days in the fridge to get the carb into the beer.

Give it enough time and you should be good.

^ +1, if the bottles aren't at room temp, warm them up a bit. 3 weeks is usually the minimum, some may be good a bit shorter, some a bit longer.

Ok, followed the recipe. Monday was two weeks in the bottle at 72F. Three weeks in the primary before that. Put the beer in the fridge on Monday chilled for at least 48 hours before I tried one.

Many times,2 weeks isn't enough for a good carbonation level. Other times,I've had them perfect at 10-11 days. Other times still,they needed 4 weeks to get good. And these times are for 70F or a lil more. But a week in the fridge will usually be better for decent carbonation & head. 2 weeks fridge time for thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.

Ive had the best results storing my beer in a very warm place for at least 3 weeks. Any kind of beer. Then fridge it up for a minimum of 2 days. The difference is Huge between 2 weeks carbonation and 3 weeks. The longer the better! Be patient! Going too fast can only mess things up and frustrate the brewer.

Back