HBT Android app vs iPhone app

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVLbrewing

Reaction score
Long story short, I've always been an Android fan, but most recently had an iPhone for the last 2 years (long story). Anyways, I picked up a new HTC Droid DNA yesterday, and was excited to see the HBT app in the market place. The iPhone app has been an essential part of my smart phone experience since I started brewing. So I guess I just have a few questions...

First of all, is there anyway to change the settings for how the app displays the forum categories? The DNA has three buttons at the bottom, and is missing the "Settings" button. I'm not sure if there are even any settings I could tweak but the font is TINY for the forum navigation. Once I'm in a thread the text is actually a little larger than I'd prefer, but I'd rather have too big than too small. The layout and navigation of the iPhone app were pretty much perfect.

Next, one of my favorite features of the iPhone app was looking at my subscribed threads. I finally found the subscribed threads by using clicking on the search icon (after having to search HBT on my desktop computer), but the threads are arranged in the order that I subscribed to them and don't appear to have any indication on when or if they have been updated with new content. Unless there is someway to tweak this, it essentially makes one of my primary functions of the app useless. On the iPhone app it organized them by most recent updates, and was really useful.

It seems like the iPhone experience is everything a forum app should be, and the android app is everything a forum app shouldn't be. It's almost a deal-breaker for me. I'd hate to have to go back to using the web version on my phone. Are there any other options? Am I just missing something? I love Android, but man, this is rough!

Also, I don't want this turn into an android vs iPhone debate. I'd like some advice on tweaking the app, if possible, and can do without the "return it and get an iphone comments..."

:mug:

EDIT: Ok, what the deuce... while doing some "research" online about why this app sucks so bad, I stumbled across a google play (market) page for the HBT app. I'm not sure if its for an older version (1.3.18). Apparently the version I downloaded first was version 2.0. The 1.3.18 user experience addresses all my issues above. Anyone have any idea what gives with the 2.0 version?

1.3.18 is a release built on someone else's software. 2.0 is in beta, it's a custom built application that TxBrew's working on. There's an entire subforum for feature requests, bug reports, etc.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. It makes total sense now. As someone who has developed lots of RIA's (rich internet applications) for work I'm all about the development process. I'll check out the sub-forum (somehow I've missed it up until this point), and see if I can't be of some service.

Latest posts

Back