HBS mistake with belgian wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crock_it_out

Reaction score
I got a Belgian wit kit from a HBS when I was out of town. They put together all their own kits with fresh grains. Well just before the boil I notice that on the kit instructions it has northwestern weizen malt extract(lme) well the LME they gave me was Bavarian wheat....I not too worried because its still a wheat malt but how big a difference will this make my beer if I'm going for a blue moon style beer… this is only my 2nd brew so I'm still learning.

With the extracts... you probably won't notice much at all. There aren't very many different Wheat Malt Extracts out there. Both of the LHBS I go to have just "Wheat Malt" for their extracts. Both Liquid and dry.

However, one of the LHBS has a Wheat LME that is darker than the other LHBS Wheat LME. So depending on what style (or color) of Wheat Beer I'm shooting for will depend on what store I buy from. :)

I brew a Blue Moon clone for my wife and have used Wheat LME from both stores. They pretty much tasted the same, except one was a little darker than the other.

Gary

Back