HbrewO RO Water System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$350 seems expensive. A long time ago I got a complete set of RO/DI gear with a tester, reservoir, and line pressure gauge for MAYBE $200 off eBay. This stuff is all made from the same parts more or less, so I would look around at other bundles.

A filter vendor hangs out here on HBT and his offerings seem popular, though I haven't needed to look closely. And that's another issue... depending on where you live you may not need to filter at all. I'd try to find water data for your town before buying anything.

If you have the space available to be able to install a unit under the sink or somewhere else that would be ideal for your brewing purposes...Horseflesh is correct in advising you to look elsewhere. If you don't have the space or permission from swmbo to clutter up the space or add another faucet to her kitchen sink, and you have funds, then go for it. It looks like a very compact unit, and very easy to employ. Let it drain/dry after disassembly and back into the little briefcase like package for storing until needed again.

In general, systems that use encapsulated filters will have 1) low capacity, and are 2) expensive to operate.

When you buy new filters, you also have to buy new housings.

The prefilters only take you down to 10 micron. Bad design. Membrane manufacturers require 5 micron at the most.

The carbon prefilter contains plain old GAC. As a prefilter this is a much less than ideal choice.

You don't need DI. Their DI is horizontal - a fundamental design weakness.

I'd look elsewhere.

BIAS ALERT: We're a homebrewtalk sponsor and produce products that compete with that filter. But even if we weren't, I still wouldn't recommend that product!

Russ

Not hijacking the post...but thanks Russ! I am no means a filter expert and I myself was looking at buying one of those units for the compact versatility it seemed to provide. You might have saved me in more ways than one!

One thing you can take to the bank with Buckeye - we'll give you the same information, the same advice, and the same level of support we'd give a family member. That's how we roll ;-)

Russ

99% of the systems, both small residential and large commercial units, we sell into the brewing world are just RO - not RODI. Why? I think RO water is "pure enough." RO technology is familiar to most people. DI is a bit of an added complication, most people are unfamiliar with it, and it adds expense. Do you really need pharmaceutical grade water purity for beer brewing? Probably not.

Sometimes customers who come out of the marine aquarium world and start brewing jump to RODI because that's what they're familiar with.

Russ

The most common use of RO is for drinking water - undersink units. That's how most people are exposed to it. Very few people even know something called "RODI" exists. RODI is common only in a few of our market sectors.

I did get exposed to RODI through the reef keeping hobby as a matter of fact! The reef is long gone and the RODI gear is in the last house. Turns out my tap water is a nice blank slate for brewing so I never needed to reacquaint myself with the field.

Was going to mention Buckeye but looks like I don't need to lol I bought my ro system from them. Great service! And a lot cheaper than that system.

On an unrelated note, I thought ro water wasn't good for drinking?

RO technology was developed specifically to produce drinking water, and it is very widely used for that purpose. RO water that is more completely purified by passing through a mixed bed ion exchanger ("DI") would not be ideal for drinking. The two most practical reasons being the DI water is expensive to produce, it's overkill for drinking water, and it doesn't taste right.

I'll purposefully not go into the potential medical issue here - maybe an MD/physiologist would take on that tired topic.

Russ

Back