Hazy Cider - need help clarifying in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overpunch

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 5 gallons of cherry cider that naturally carbonated in a korny keg with RedStar Premier Cuvee (low floc yeast :( ). The taste of the cider is impeccable...perhaps the best I've done to date. It's slightly sweet, not too sour, and of course is sparkling.

I've had it chilled in the fridge for like 4 days now. It's not very clear. I have a few bottles of the same cider that I let frerment to completion that also have not cleared completely on the table top. I just tried yesterday adding some gelatin and today I tried to see if it worked. It's still the same cloudy mess that it was before.

Did I mess up the gelatin fining steps? I took 1/2 teaspoon and added it to 195F reverse osmosis water, stirred and then added to the cold keg, tilted the keg ~5x and then put it back in the fridge for >24 hrs.

Did the 195F water screw things up? Is there a way to fix this? Will adding more gelatin that first soaks in cold water and then is heated up a little bit be good enough? Am I screwed? Thanks!

Back