Hazy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelPeat

Reaction score
I know this subject must be explained really well somewhere, but I just brewed a Blonde ale using partial mash method and it turned out hazy. When I cooled the wort I noticed that the bottom half of the wort was cloudy but I poured it all in the fermenter anyways.
In order to clarify the beer, should I have used Irish moss and not have poured the cloudy half of my wort in?
Or would a protein rest help with eliminating the haze?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

At this point I think your best bet is to use some gelatin. I just recently tried this for the first time on a brew that came out hazy as all get out and the gelatin cleared it right up. A search on this site will get you the details.
Good luck

Quick cooling, extended fermentation time, and additional cold conditioning (aka cold-crash after fermentation is complete) can all help the clarity of the beer. You can also add gelatin. Do a search on that.

Thanks a lot, I will try to find some gelatin. I live in Korea and don't speak the language but I'm sure I can find it somewhere.

Cheers.

This seems like a good place to ask this - is there a reason besides aesthetics and trying to match the style for wanting a non-hazy beer?

Show them this in Korea (Google translator) then you should be set.

(pronounced in Korean - chay la tin)

gelatin.jpg

This seems like a good place to ask this - is there a reason besides aesthetics and trying to match the style for wanting a non-hazy beer?

I've been using the same US-05, multiple generations deep now, and it doesn't flocc well. My beers are all hazy, but they taste great. Occasionally people tell me my beer reminds them of a wheat beer, even if it tastes nothing like one, but other than that I don't particularly care.

Careful on asking for gelatin in Korea. Once ordered a gelatin dessert in Mexico. Seems bill cosby's jello and Mexican jello, though the same bold, unnatural colors, are not the same thing. And gelatin technically is what is used to hold head cheese together.

If you can't find gelatin in Korea you can make enough for a batch of beer and a tasty couple dinners in the mean time. Any time you slow cook a fatty price of meat like a pot roast or a lamb shank. Once you cool down the leftovers there will be a clear layer of crud either on the top or on parts of the meat. That is the gelatin

Mmm lamb gelatin in beer. Homer would be proud

All my beers are hazy...i don't really care... there I said it...for me, it is what it is. ..:)

+1. Been homebrewing all grain for over 10 years now, and all of my beers have a chill haze to them. Don't care as it does not affect the flavor. For my first time ever I am going to try gelatin on a MaiBock that I am bringing to NHC. Only time I can see where a haze would be a deterrant is when you are trying to impress someone. IE, a competition.

+1. Been homebrewing all grain for over 10 years now, and all of my beers have a chill haze to them. Don't care as it does not affect the flavor. For my first time ever I am going to try gelatin on a MaiBock that I am bringing to NHC. Only time I can see where a haze would be a deterrant is when you are trying to impress someone. IE, a competition.

I don't use gelatin (or other finings) because I want a vegetarian-friendly beer. It also creeps me out to think of fish swim bladders and cow hooves in beer, so I don't use it. I do use whirlfloc in the kettle, but that's it.

You don't need stuff to clear the beer, if proper technique is used. Getting a good hot break, a good cold break, and often chilling (crash cooling) will get rid of chill haze.

I don't like hazy beer, but it's ok if it's a very hoppy beer and there is a hops haze. I will not drink a murky beer- but no one has to. It's pretty easy to get clear beer without finings and without filtering.

Here's an IPA that was 4 weeks old when I took this picture:
0511132020.jpg

Latest posts

Back