Haze at bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmiller356

Reaction score
Tulsa, Oklahoma AND Springfield, Missouri
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1387572140.088498.jpg

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get this hazy looking cloud out of the wine. I'm thinking it's pulp, but is there a way to get rid of it without sacrificing much of the wine?

EDIT: it's blueberry if that helps at all.

cmiller356 said:
I was wondering if anyone knows how to get this hazy looking cloud out of the wine. I'm thinking it's pulp, but is there a way to get rid of it without sacrificing much of the wine?

EDIT: it's blueberry if that helps at all.

Its pulp. This is after the first rack correct? Give it two weeks to a month. Rack off. Take the sludge on the bottom and rack into a gal jug. Let sit. The leftover wine will come to the top within a few weeks. Then take the "extra wine" and add it to your maine carboy.
Second option. Pour the sludge into a pain strainer bag. Squeeze out wine. Put that wine into a smaller gal jug. It will settle out and clear faster this way. Then add it to your first carboy.
Or take the sludge and make a seconds wine with it. Add a little suger and water and let it ferment. Use this as a top off wine or keep as a light wine.
You can also add some vodca to the sludge. Let it settle and rack off the now blueberry flavored vodca.
Or you can take the sludge and use it as a yeast starter for the next batch of wine. Blueberry flovored of corse.
Or you could just dump it....

Back