Having trouble bottle harvesting yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metasyntactic

Reaction score
I've been trying to get yeast from Unibroue's Blanche de Chambly, without much success.

First I tried pitching the dregs into a 250ml Erlenmeyer, topping it off to 200ml with canned wort. After leaving it on the stir plate for a few days and then cold crashing it, I had a very, very small film of what appeared to be yeast, but also some suspicious black particles.

Next I tried inoculating a wort agar plate (with a fresh bottle), but after two days I don't see any growth.

Does anyone have any advice?

If there is viable yeast in there, give it more time, up to 6 days in the wort, and keep it warm. You may have to get it into mid 70s to get some action.

I read somewhere it was filtered and they use bottling yeast, not sure.

Looks like I over reacted. I came home to many little circular translucent/whitish dots :D

jCQByCN.jpg

How large do you think I should let the independent colonies get before I transfer them to the 10ml vials of sterilized wort I've prepared? They're about 2 mm in diameter now.

Back