havent a clue. feeling in the dark.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilgoretrou_t

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm very new here. Just doing my first brew. Coopers mexican cerveza... Heres where i am at..

I boiled up too much water and mixed in the malt from the kit and 1kg of caster sugar. Worked ok except i couldnt cool it very quickly. So when i topped up wth cold water to 23litres the temperature was too high at 30c.

The instructions from cooper indicate that whilst this isnt ideal, its important to get the yeast in and close the bucket to protect it. Ok so i put it in stir it up and set it where it cooled down over 2 or 3 hrs to 18c. In my haste i also forgot to do a hydrometer reading.

That was 7 days ago. The temperature has been a very constant 16-18c which i understand is good (for a lager).

My bucket doesnt seem to have a good seal and i have had no bubbling on the airlock. Im satisfied however that my brew is safe, since the pressure is apparent, there really cant be any air getting in, and thers a clear indication of froth on the top.

Now. What to do? Since i dont have a bubbles indicator, shall i just leave it for another week, then start bottling? I guess i can do a hydrometer reading but what should i be looking for? Apparently the trick with all this is to stay cool and leave it alone. 3 weeks in primary ferment is, i read, ok even if the yeast is done, since the yeast starts 'cleaning up'...

Any advice?
Thanks
Kilgore

Heres a pic of my setup

ForumRunner_20131103_202648.png

bubbles in the airlock isnt an indicator of fermentation. Im sure the yeast are just fine, I would leave it alone for however long you plan on keeping it in primary. when you get close to that day take 3 hydrometer readings over 3 days and if it reads the same measurement on all the days, its done go ahead and secondary or bottle whichever you plan on doing.

Taking reading is done by opening the tap, filling the testing tube and then discarding? Seems like a waste. Or can i pour it back in the top?

It would be unwise to do so, as it would mean exposing the wort to air and possible infection. It is better to dispose of the sample in whatever way you choose - which can include drinking it, though it probably isn't at it's best. Yes, it's a waste, but given that it is only about 3.5 fl. oz. (100mL), the sacrifice isn't so great, and it can help make the final beer better.

yup fill the test tube (thief) take the measurement and then discard. You could technically pour it back in as long as everything is sanitized extremely well, but why risk your entire batch of beer to an infection?

If you use the test tube just drink the flat beer....its still beer.

When i ferment in buckets I drop my hydrometer in a bucket of sanitzer for about 5 min, open the lid, drop the hydrometer in the bucket (slowly) and take a reading, ive done this about 10 times so far and have not gotten an infection.

it depends on what you brew, the starting gravity, and yeast used. If you brewed a kit with extract and instructions, the instructions usually have the Final Gravity number which you are shooting for. the reason to take seperate readings is to check that fermentation is done and stable enough to bottle so you dont have bottle bombs

Hi all

Heres the reading.

no idea what the reading is or what the instructions are asking for. There isnt an FG anywhere else in the instructions. .

Thx for the help

ForumRunner_20131104_120554.png

ForumRunner_20131104_120052.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131104_120435.png
    ForumRunner_20131104_120435.png
    342.7 KB · Views: 168
  • ForumRunner_20131104_120536.png
    ForumRunner_20131104_120536.png
    379.4 KB · Views: 172
You read the hydrometer by noting where the top of the liquid line is in relation to the hydrometer markings, then adjusting for temperature if needed. From the picture, it looks like the top of the liquid is at about 1.007 - 1.008. Because your fermenter is already at about 16C, there's no need to temperature correct.

So, what does the gravity reading tell you? In homebrewing, a gravity reading measures the dissolved sugars in solution. Before you add the yeast, the reading is higher. After fermentation, the reading is lower because the yeast convert the sugars into alcohol. At 1.007, your fermentation is likely complete, although I'd keep the beer where it is for about another week just to make sure the yeast has completed fermentation. In about a week, take another gravity reading, if the reading is the same, you're done, you can move to bottling.

Before your next bactch, I'd suggest reading up a little bit about brewing, so you don't feel "in the dark". The beginning extract brewing howto and FAQ stickies in the Beginners Brewing forum will help out a lot. There's also howtobrew.com, the first section or two will explain much about extract brewing. Plus, read other posts on the forum and you'll get the hang of it. Congrats on making your first beer :mug:

Thanks for that! Very helpful.

I guess like many folk I jumped without looking. Just so damn keen to get the end product!

cloudy, flat, but something like lager! tasted a bit like the dregs you would find in the bottom of a pint after 24hrs

I'm thinking of bottling today, since air may now be getting into the bucket. especially since i just pressed the lid down and the plastic back sprung up, drawing air in through the airlock, which i suppose was pretty dumb

Bottled up! took ages. going to have to work out a better strategy next time. The beer (Coopers Mexican Cerveza) tasted a bit stale, and soapy. Also there was quite a bit of [dead yeast?] on the bottom of the bucket. In any case i think this FIRST BATCH of mine went well (for a noob).

When i ran out of bottles, I had to use a 2 litre carbonated water bottle. Also, for fun, i got some of the very last drops into an IKEA bottle. you can see both in the photo below.

Is the color ok? The think the gloup in the small bottle is yet to settle properly.

657668888.jpg

Back