Have you used smoked malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davevjordon

Reaction score
I’ve used medium roasted oak chips, with amazing results, for a Porter.
I bought 4 lbs of cherrywood smoked malt (because it was $1 / lb), but have never used smoked grains. In my smoked Porter, the 2oz of medium roasted Oak chips, 7 days in fermentation, added a truly awesome smokiness. Others from my homebrew club really liked it too. (5 gal batch)
Any advice with the smoked grain?
Thank you.

Have never used them, but tasted beers with them, yeah. If you are going to use them, start with just a little, as one could easily ruin an otherwise good beer.

I have an amber ale on tap right now that used cherrywood smoked malt for 25% of the grain bill. I think it's too much for an amber but think it would be pretty good in a porter, not sure I'd go with 25% though unless you want a lot of smokiness.

I've made a fair amount of smoked beer. I tend to use 20% in a Vienna style ale.
In a softer, English style porter, I've used 15% and it went over very well.

I've used 50% Weyermann beechwood smoked malt in a rauchbier, and it's fantastic. I've used less, maybe 20%, when I've used Briess cherry or smoked my own with hickory wood. These have been all golden lagers. I'm going to try a smoked porter soon.

I used just a tad less than a pound in a 5 gallon porter. It turned out pretty good. It had some other home toasted 2 row from a friend. Very nice, now I’m thirsty and it’s time for work...

Great to see this thread, I'm going to be using smoked malt (Briess Cherrywood) for the first time two weekends from now and was curious about the amounts as well. I'm going to be making a Pineapple Chipotle Smoked IPA. So it will get smokey flavor from both the smoked malt and the Chipotle. I was think about doing 1.25lb of the smoked malt so that's about 11% of the grain bill. With the Chipotle I'm thinking that should be enough? I certainly don't want it to be as smokey as a Schlenkerla Rauchbier.

Rev.

My experience with smoked malts is that the smoke level can be inconsistent from one batch of grain to the next. Perhaps due to shipping, storage before purchase. I made a rauchbier from almost 100% Weyermann beech-smoked malt and the beer wasn't overly smoky. In other beers (e.g., porters) 20% smoke malt was plenty.

For those interested, there's a good thread on smoking your own malt. @Schlenkerla is our in-house smoke beer guy.

I find that the different smoked malts also have different amounts that can be used. For instance Peat Smoked malt is very harsh and I don't use much over a tenth of a pound. I used it in a brown ale that had Oak Smoked Wheat malt and the total was about 11% I used Mesquite Smoked Malt at 24% and it was not too smoky. Cherrywood is also pretty mild. I too would start small and add more if it doesn't overwhelm you. Some people also seem to be much more sensitive to the smoky flavor than others so you really need to experiment a little to find out your threshold.

I love the flavor of the Briess Cherrywood smoked malt. Could eat it out of the bag with a spoon. My LHBS was out of it last time and I got an applewood smoked malt and that was great too. I tend to use them in Porters or Browns at the rate of 8 oz. (for a 5g batch). Results in a very light smoky flavor. If I wanted a more distinct flavor, I'd probably go up to 1 lb.

I happen to be drinking Ray Daniels smoked porter recipe right now and it uses 2# of Weyermann's beechwood rauch malt in a 5 gallon batch. I would not want any more smoke flavor or aroma than this in a beer, in fact, somewhat less would be preferable. But this varies greatly from individual to individual, so I'm not sure it is valuable information, some may think it just right or not enough, I won't argue with them. I think 8oz or maybe even less would be a good amount to use for a hint of smoke without it being the predominant flavor.

Oh to pine about Rauchmalt....

..... Do you have a few hours? LoL.

Rauch malt smoke preference is like hop bitterness. You either like it or hate it. Then once you to warm up to it chances are if you really like it you want more and more and it can't ever be enough. Thinking that's a good Rauchbier. Especially at the higher ABV.

However sticking with a touch in stout or a porter is another story. It pairs well with roasted malts if it's intended as an accent. You can egress into using smoke malt modestly 10-20% then up to much larger amounts. It pairs well with beers that have black malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, biscuit and special roast. Think Dark English, Scottish, Irish and German beers are prime candidates for such malts.

A long time ago all malts were smoke malts until the primary use of heating resorted to coal. Prior to that, most malting was done over hay or wood fired kilns. Hence the smoke character. Some very warm climates used solar methods and were smoke free. Like Egypt or North Africa. Then smoked malts nearly faded to extinction in the 19th century with the invention of black patent roaster. Think brown ales. At one time brown ale was made from lightly smoked malt that was brown from roasting and smoking.

Bamberg Germany is a place that hasn't let it fade from history. Be it Heller Trum Brewery (Schlenkerla) and Spezial.. Also a few others in that area. Their malt is malted with smoke and roasted such that it's a dark garnet red on it's own when mashed. It's basically a dark Munich Rauch.

I like making my own rauch malt. I typically use it to make marzen and dunkelweizen style beers frequently. Anything from 50-100% grist. More is better if you like bold flavors. I like it in any roasted malt beer that I like to drink frequently while smoking food. So far I have made beers smoked with apple, cherry, maple, hickory, beech, pecan, oak and mesquite. Also done Rauch malts from dried peanut and pistachio shells. Both of the latter are super mellow nutty smokes.

Roast malt mellows with time. It's like coffee beans strongest when used freshly after smoking. It's degrades with time as you let it air out. Closing it up tightly contains some of the aroma as it helps hold the moisture content. I like to use it from 3-6 months after smoking.

Pairs well with foods like BBQ, any grilled foods that gets grill marks, then include stir fry, and spicy foods. Thinking Mexican , Thai and any classic German/American pork cuts that sees a grill, smoker or roasting oven.

I like smoke malt in the extreme to the mildest touch in a beer. Marzen to English Mild.

Note the smoke effect is most obvious in the first pour. It's taste or ester like effect fades with time during the beer session. One's pallet loses its taste after a bit like a bitter IPA does. That is one reason people who like it want it heavy in the beer. Pellet cold smoking really packs the smoke flavor if you want it to punch you in the face. I like it that way in September. But kind of like it more mellow later in the fall.

Any questions about this subject I'd be more than happy to discuss.

Post here or see the post beerlow ... Or IM me...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/637254/

Last edited:
Great to see this thread, I'm going to be using smoked malt (Briess Cherrywood) for the first time two weekends from now and was curious about the amounts as well. I'm going to be making a Pineapple Chipotle Smoked IPA. So it will get smokey flavor from both the smoked malt and the Chipotle. I was think about doing 1.25lb of the smoked malt so that's about 11% of the grain bill. With the Chipotle I'm thinking that should be enough? I certainly don't want it to be as smokey as a Schlenkerla Rauchbier.

Rev.
That small amount should be good to notice but not be overwhelming. Especially if the other flavors pop. Pinapple and Chipotle. I'd consider maybe an acid blend, lactic acid or acid malt to help push the pinapple fruit taste. Acidity helps with fruit flavors. The one thing is you don't want is the Chipotle pepper too strong. It will have some smoke flavor on it's own.

How are you using the Chipotle?

At a boil flame out or like a dry hop like addition?

I could see floating a whole pepper in the boil but when.

I'm curious....

Last edited:
If you want to make a Schlenkerla Rauchbier the grain bill is like this.

- 5lbs Munich

- 5lbs Smoked Malt - officially Beechwood, but any type works.

- 4oz Black Malt

Hop with Hallertauer, or Mt Hood or Liberty at 60 minutes. Shooting for 20-30 IBU.

I pitch a dry ale yeast like S-05 or S-33. It's a lager style.

Wanna wheat? Swap the Munich for Wheat malt and pitch Fermentus WB-06 or Lallemand Munich Wheat Beer Yeast. If you have access to black midnight winter wheat, you can sub that for the black malt. If so inclined pull back an oz or two on the black.

Black roasted malts play really well with Rauchmalt. I've added up 8oz and would easily go to pound on 10lb grist.

"Kaiser's Lovely Dom" is

7lbs Munich
2lbs Rauchmalt
1lb Black Malt.

Using Liberty to hit 30 IBU.
Use a lager yeast or clean ale yeast.

I have not made this yet but would do so since I like what black malt does to a beer.

Last edited:
I’ve used medium roasted oak chips, with amazing results, for a Porter.
I bought 4 lbs of cherrywood smoked malt (because it was $1 / lb), but have never used smoked grains. In my smoked Porter, the 2oz of medium roasted Oak chips, 7 days in fermentation, added a truly awesome smokiness. Others from my homebrew club really liked it too. (5 gal batch)
Any advice with the smoked grain?
Thank you.
Do you like Smoked foods? First suggestion, make a Schlenkerla Clone.

* Any of these would work for grilling/smoking during warm weather.

I have recipes for the following:

Keller Bier *
Brown Ale
Pilsner/Kolsch *
Schwarzbier - Kaiser's Lovely Dom
Schlenkerla Rauchbier
Weizen *
Old Strong Ale
Mild
Porter
Grätzer (Polish/German Light Oak Smoke Wheat Ale) *
Rauchbock

Might get one when it's carbed up. But I'm not much into taking random pics. Not exactly a luddite, but my cell- it's a flipphone that stays in my car, turned off 95% of the time. So I guess I'm a 21`st century version. :mug:

I've been told Rausch is german for 'drunken fool'. I've never tried to confirm.....or deny.
What a perjorative. Won't hold it against you.

JimYou'reintoxicated. - LoL
Screenshot_20190605-193721.jpeg
Screenshot_20190605-193702.jpeg

I have a smoked porter on tap right now that I used 23% Briess cherry smoked malt in. I was worried when I mashed in that it may have been too much. Smelled like a smokehouse. Turned out unbelievable though. Just the right amount for me

I have a smoked porter on tap right now that I used 23% Briess cherry smoked malt in. I was worried when I mashed in that it may have been too much. Smelled like a smokehouse. Turned out unbelievable though. Just the right amount for me
I sense smoke creep.... More is better?

it says in your pic that smoke means 'rude' in german......lol, so the similar looking names for drunkenness and rudeness?
It doesn't say Schlenkerla.. cause I'm rude when I'm druck. LoL

However...

Schlenkerla is the name coined from a one time owner that was a lame hobbled drinker. The patrons could not tell if the owner was drunk, or a lame guy, or a drunk lame guy.

FWIW - Schlenkerla means "Old Lame Wobbling Guy" - in Low Dialect German. I think that means what we would consider Country-Rural-German. Not sure on that though.

@bracconiere

I'm not lame....

only the 'kool' kids smoke as much as you!

edit: damn, i've been making more cider recently, now i'm thinking about smoking some apple wedges and throwing them in a batch.....? gotta up my rep! :)

(i saw you said you used peanut shells, and pistachio...what about using cinnamon sticks to smoke them? hmmm)

Last edited:
only the 'kool' kids smoke as much as you!

edit: damn, i've been making more cider recently, now i'm thinking about smoking some apple wedges and throwing them in a batch.....? gotta up my rep! :)

(i saw you said you used peanut shells, and pistachio...what about using cinnamon sticks to smoke them? hmmm)
That's crazy.... Good.

I love smoky food more than most people. I only use my oven for dessert... everything else that gets baked, broiled, or roasted gets cooked outside in a ceramic grill, over lump charcoal. I don’t care if it takes an extra 30 minutes to get it set up. It’s worth it.

I have at least a half dozen different kinds of wood chunks.

I’ve written to Royal Oak to see if I can buy a t-shirt.

And with all that, I still don’t like smoky beer.

Are there any commercial varieties I should try? I want to want this.

I love smoky food more than most people. I only use my oven for dessert... everything else that gets baked, broiled, or roasted gets cooked outside in a ceramic grill, over lump charcoal. I don’t care if it takes an extra 30 minutes to get it set up. It’s worth it.

I have at least a half dozen different kinds of wood chunks.

I’ve written to Royal Oak to see if I can buy a t-shirt.

And with all that, I still don’t like smoky beer.

Are there any commercial varieties I should try? I want to want this.
Try a Schlenkerla.... While feeding the smoker. Sip it slowly....

Your pork/chicken geared brain might be able to convert you to the meat-smoke-beer taste. I think cool temperature really helps though.

A two beer rule applies too.
beer_1269.jpeg

Last edited:
How are you using the Chipotle?

Gonna cut it up and dry hop it for one week in the fermenter. I typically sanitize the outside of the peppers (I've used habanero and jalapenos already) then I cut up the peppers on a sanitized cutting board with sanitized knife then add to the sanitized mesh bag and weigh it down with a heavy sanitized crystal ball. Works great. I've done the tincture route by soaking in vodka before but I found I don't like that bit of alcohol taste it still adds to the beer.

Rev.

Back