Have you ever...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooblue02

Reaction score
Messed up which beer was in which fermenter? I guess I went a little over board on brewing since it had been awhile since I brewed and I think I switched up fermenters when getting one ready for bottling!

I had a substance clone in one, a Melvin clone in one and a blue moon clone in the one I was going to bottle... convinced myself the substance was in one and it was crystal clear and thought I messed it up and the other stalled and had to be warmed up to finish fermenting. Well I finally sampled the one that stalled and it looked more like a hazy IPA and tasted nice and juicy! Don’t know how I switched them but I’m labeling fermenters from now on [emoji23]

I've never had more than 5 fermenters going at once so I never mix them up. Of course, being buckets, it is easy to place the brewing notes with the kind of beer labeled on the lid. Saves me some head scratching.

I've done it before. I enjoy sampling them to figure out which is which.

I usually toss card on top of the fermenter now to make sure I don't get confused.

My ferment fridge is our old Samsung refrigerator that I can write on with dry-erase markers...so I know what's what. Although I have been known to forget what yeast went in which beer. Couple of happy surprises and one oh poopy this didn't do what I thought it should.

I get myself organised sometimes and label all of my kegs. Then I get busy (lazy) and put something new in the keg without taking the label off, and then another etc. so end up with a mix of mislabled kegs. I have to try to remember which keg blew first and which new one went in next. It's a very simple system. One day I'll just number my kegs and keep a list of what's in what on the whiteboard in my brew cave. One day.

Being new, I knew that would happen to me eventually. So now I label the fermenters with a Sharpie on blue painters tape.
I write down the yeast too in case I want to harvest it. Has saved me more than one headache, I'm sure.

This. Painter's tape FTW. Batch#, Name, start date, keg date. Move tape from FV to keg. It works great...when I remember to do it :rolleyes:

The one that stalled somehow came out really good! So happy surprise! In the process of mixing things up I realized a few things:
1) Never give up on a beer that you brewed until it is carbed and tasted
2) Labeling is your friend and not hard to do (make it part of the brew day and get the label ready while you are brewing, seriously you have hours to kill!)
3) Brewing is a constant learning endeavor and if you didn't learn something during brew day, you likely will before your first sip

Cheers!

I take masking tape and a marker and use that to label my fermenters I label the batch the date the OG and FG if it's primary or secondary this system has never failed me and I just pull the tape and move it to the next vessel as the beer moves

I did get lazy and not label the bottles from two batches but it's easy to tell them apart. Probably should label them sometime, though. I always use masking tape on my fermenters to keep track of what's what.

Back