Have you ever: Water tank fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerrSonntag

Reaction score
I've got a bit of an odd shaped fermentation chamber (chest style, big hump in the middle) and the only 10G rig i've found that will fit in it is this guy

https://www.ntotank.com/16gallon-no...XamGLzYDcPWKLNLwhyT_4BcmgS9ZitChoCQ50QAvD_BwE

Has anyone had any experience with something like this? I was thinking of just drilling a hole for a gromet airlock/blow off tube and using some thread tape to ensure that the cap doesn't leak.

Looks fine to me. My guess is that it's HDPE, which is a pretty common material for homebrew fermentation vessels.

I'm sure when you get it and confirm the diameter of the lid, you'll be able to find an o-ring or gasket that will fit in it, instead of trying to seal it with thread tape. Happy fermentations!

Have you thought about how you are transferring the beer out of it? If you can get the lid to seal you could also put floating dip tube into it and transfer using co2. If not you should be able to instal a bulkhead in the side or bottom for racking.

It will depend on the diameter port you're wanting and what you want facing inside (diptube?) and outside (ball valve, keg post, etc.)
  • You can build a bulkhead the same way weldless fitting for coolers and kettles are made with standard plumbing parts. I'd avoid brass during fermentation. The extended contact time with the more acidic beer is increases the chances and concentration of leached lead into the finished product. They make stainless fittings which are safe.
  • You can purchase a stainless weldless fitting from a homebrew store. Brewhardware has a purpose built units that I've used with absolutely no leaks. They are available as both NPT and tri-clover. (Bonus the owner, BobbyM, is a forum supporter and avid contributor to the community)
  • If you are looking for a diameter larger than 1/2", then look for "tank bulkhead" from someplace like Grainger (here) or US plastics (here). That will take it out of the tank into NPT. The ones on Grainger have a listed pressure rating of 150psi.
  • You could also put a bulkhead (weldless fitting) with a keg post and a dip tube (example). This should work for both air in and out. You could use a floating diptube, so you are racking clear beer until the end. Pressure kits for the Fermzilla would have both keg posts and a flexible dip tube but you'd have to find out what thread size they are for the bulkheads. You could build a diy version as well. There's a thread on here about it and instructions here.

You could also buy a vacuum pump. I have the allinonewinepump.com , it racks and bottles. Among other things.
Cheers

Back