Have you ever frozen three carboys of beer... because I have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
So I walked down the basement, grabbed the racking cane and a sanitized keg, headed over to the chest freezer and when I opened the lid I wondered why the sanitizer for the blowoff tube looked so strange. Then I wondered why it smelled so strongly of apples. Then I wondered... OH MY GOD... why is everything ****ing frozen!!!!

20150617_164844.jpg

20150617_164855.jpg

20150617_164904.jpg

20150617_170013.jpg

20150617_170238.jpg

Anyone ever done this?
There is a bunch of construction going on in the basement because the landlord is putting in forced air heating and central air so there are a lot of people moving around and I think the temperature probe might have gotten caught on something and pulled out. It's just loosely stuck in there, not attached to anything and tonight was lying on the floor while the Johnson was set to 35* for a crash cooling session over the past few days. Turns out to be a crash freezing session...

The one that got pushed off is the cider. It was five gallons exactly in a six gallon carboy so there was a lot of expansion. I sampled some of the ice at the top and it tasted like an apple slushie. The dark one is a Black Ale and after it started to thaw I tasted some of the liquid up top and it was a syrupy and taste like straight jet fuel. Not sure what the concentrate of that alcohol is but it was strong!

Fermentation was done on all of them and I was just crash cooling them to get them cleared up for kegging/bottling. I'll be repitching yeast for the cider to bottle most likely.

Are those glass carboys? I can't believe they didn't crack. May want to be very careful moving them after they thaw. You'll want to inspect them well.

congratulations on your first eis beers!

I think that might be a little more planned partial freezing but I guess I'll take it

Are those glass carboys? I can't believe they didn't crack. May want to be very careful moving them after they thaw. You'll want to inspect them well.

That's what I was worried about but I looked at them pretty careful and they look ok. Obviously I'll know tomorrow if the beer is still in them and not all over the chest freezer.

Frost brewed! I think you've unlocked coors light's secret

Awesome! When do the billions of dollars start to roll in? :ban:

My chest freezer/fermentation chamber is right up against the garage door and the fermwrap couldn't keep it thawed this winter at 10 below so I accidentally froze a red.

Best beer I've made to date. Also on a side note I got almost no yeast in the bottles. They all carbonated properly and I can do a full pour without getting any yeast into the glass.

Back