Have plums, need a good recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coboll

Reaction score
I have 15 lbs damson plums from our tree just picked yesterday. Should I freeze them first or start this weekend?
I found this recipe online does it sound like a good one?
Any other recommendations for a dry plum wine?
Help is appreciated......I'm new at this.

Dry Damson Plum Wine

PLUM WINE (1)
6 lbs plums
sugar to SG of 1.080 (1-1/2 lbs approx)
1 campden tablet
Water to one gallon
1-1/2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
3/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp yeast energizer
1/8 tsp grape tannin
wine yeast

Wash the fruit, cut in halves to remove the seeds, then chop fruit and put in primary. Add water and campden tablet, Add acid blend, pectic enzyme, tannin, nutrient, and energizer, cover, and wait 24 hours before adding yeast. Recover primary and allow to ferment 5-7 days, stirring twice daily. Strain, transfer to secondary, and fit airlock. Rack after 30 days, top up, refit airlock and repeat every 30 days until wine clears. Wait two additional weeks, rack again, stabilize wine, bottle. This wine can be sampled after only 6 months. If not up to expectations, let age another 6 months and taste again. I have aged plum wine up to four years and the result was exquisite.

Thanks, I think I'll use it...........how ripe should the plums be? Mine are starting to get soft. Should I freeze them or start asap.

Thanks for the help Yooper. I'm a packer fan also. I tried to start my yeast with a cup of water at 100 degrees. I sunk to the bottom of the bowl.
How do I know if it's dead. I might need to drive 30 miles for another packet tomorrow.
I'm afraid my water was too hot?? How do I know?

Thanks for the help Yooper. I'm a packer fan also. I tried to start my yeast with a cup of water at 100 degrees. I sunk to the bottom of the bowl.
How do I know if it's dead. I might need to drive 30 miles for another packet tomorrow.
I'm afraid my water was too hot?? How do I know?

100 degrees isn't too hot. It should be fine. I"d use it, and if it's not fermenting in a day or two, then I'd consider buying new yeast.

Yea! it's fermenting today. It's my first time making wine and it's the unknown that prompts so many questions.

I'm ready to transfer to my secondary. What should my gravity be at? It's been five days and it's at 1.010.

Thanks for your help! It's perking in the carboy now. When it's done and hopefully tastes good it's making the trip up to our cabin in WI.

Back