Have not started yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demetrio

Reaction score
I don't want to call myself a newbie since I have not started brewing yet. I want to learn as much as I can from this forum and the internet on how to start this process and have some knowledge before I start buying the materials etc. I hope to retire in 3 years and I love to drink beer, I think brewing my own beer will make it a more enjoyable experience. I live in Northwest Indiana and besides Beer drinking, I enjoy playing Chess and Gardening. Thank you for letting me join this forum. Please let me know how best to navigate this site and find the guidance to brew my own beer.

Welcome!

This forum is a great place to ask questions, but it is a good idea to get a book like How to Brew. Watching someone make beer on YouTube is also really helpful.

Cheers!

Check out the AHA website for homebrew clubs in your area or do some Internet sleuthing of your own. Observing a few brew days with various homebrew rigs will give you a good idea of what might work in your home. It's also a good way to meet people.

Welcome to the forum.
Since you brought up gardening, i'm guessing you enjoy cooking as well. If so that is a plus in my eyes.
My 2 cents, which really isn't much coming from me.... better yet, I will go with how I started....
i started with a Mr. Beer Kit. took about 1 hour, start to finish if I remember correctly. I did 1 batch, and realized that that way was not for me, I wanted to do more. . So I moved to doing Extract Kits, which is more involved. I did about 4-5 batches of those, before I chose to go the next step, if memory is serving me right, it took 3-4 hours start to finish). Then I decided i wanted more control and and more options, so I went All Grain, Brew In A Bag (aka BIAB)) and that is still what I do now. start to finish is about 5-6 hours.

I decided while i was doing extract on where I wanted to go, and purchased my kettle from that(when I decided to go All Grain(AG). At the time I was figuring that I would be brewing over a propane burner, but I wanted to eventually go Electric indoors. So I went with a Spike kettle that I had the ports already installed, and just bought plugs till the time came.

Then of course it comes to bottling/kegging. I started with bottles. and have since moved to kegs. Kegs require more equipment, i.e. keezers, kegarators. Electric components.....

Personally, I think, if you are really thinking about doing this a hobby, then do some research, do some sole searching on where you may want to end up, and go for it. Start small, and well, when it comes time to advance then really do some research on the equipment to get and where you want to go.

Things to think about:

1. batch size - I do 5 gal batches, and do not plan on going bigger, I figure if I need more beer, then I just need to dedicate more time to brewing it lol.... 5 Gal batches BIAB require at least a 10G Kettle.
2. Indoors or out doors - When I brewed outside, i used a propane burner. I bought a burner and tank and was good, when i decided to go inside electric i had to run electric, buy a controller, element, and instead of a vent I went with the Steam Slayer( I do enjoy having).
3. Fermentation - what temps does your home stay, will they work with the yeast strands that you use. ( most strands are good at room temps) better beer does come from fermentors that have temp control to them.
4. Packaging-most kits come with cappers, which I still use. But will need to buy capps to cover kits you buy.

2. Where do you want to brew - in doors, out doors, gas, electric... ( this can be a long term look at)

3. BIG ONE - sanitation. Make sure to sanitize everything.... I use Star San, and it seems to work, knock on wood no issues so far. Cleaning and sanitizing is big with beer. I have a bucket dedicated to Star San ( roughly 4 gals) plus a spray bottle that I use after the boil on my utensils.

4. Nothing like a home-brew. Mine is not the greatest, but i will say. I sit back and take a drink, and think of what I did to get this, and it always puts a smile on my face.

I hope this helps out, I know there is a ton of information on the internet

Welcome! Brewing is a great hobby. This forum is a great resource. Also, look around for your local homebrew store (if there is one). Usually they will have great advice for what you are planning on brewing. Start with extract and learn the basics and see where it takes you.

Lastly, once you start brewing you WILL make mistakes. Don't get discouraged. Learn from them and keep improving.

Back