Have kegs, need to travel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmarkis

Reaction score
I have two kegs that I am carbonating. Set to 20PSI for the next 2-3 days, then will set down to 12PSI until properly carbonated.

Here's the catch: I am traveling 12 hours from Charlotte, NC to the Gulf coast of Florida for a beach house. I will be leaving this Thursday (9/5). What is the best way to handle the kegs? I will probably need to travel with them in the bed of my truck, there won't be room in the cab of the truck. I know they will get kicked up a bit, but that's nothing a couple days in a cold fridge won't fix. I'm just not sure what to do with the kegs and the CO2. Should I disconnect the CO2 and reconnect once at the house or leave it connected the entire time?

Disconnect and if possible keep them upright, i don't see how the trip could hurt them, might actually help the yeast to find a few more nibbles to eat.
Might try to keep them as cool as you can though.

disconnect no way the reg will stay in place, too much may dissolve in the keg over priming it

Should I release the pressure in the keg or keep it in there while I travel?

Keep the pressure in there. Disconnect everything and most importantly take the regulator off the CO2 tank and be very careful with the tank: don't leave it in the hot car, and make sure it's secure.

Agreed. Carb as you will, connect beer out to beer out of a fresh clean purged keg and transfer. Unless they are wheat beers or you filter you will stir sediment back into solution that will not fall out all that quickly.

Leave the kegs carbonated then chill them upon arrival. Keep them cold in transit if you can to keep the CO2 in solution. Obviously be careful with CO2 tank and regulator (disconnected) as you do not want to break anything.

Back