Have 6 gallons of honeycrisp cider..looking to age till next year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesa4234

Reaction score
I just picked up 6 gallons of honeycrisp cider. I want to make a cider that is a little higher in alcohol (but under 10%) that I can age until next August/September and then keg. Any recipe ideas? I was thinking maybe something simple with just the cider and some honey (maybe 3 pounds or so). Any other ideas?

If I do the math correctly you come in (after fermenting to dryness) at just under 9 % with the honey added. Sounds right for what you want. Just remember that aging means as little headspace in your carboy as possible, and checking it every few months to make sure the airlock doesn't go dry!

I'd check the airlocks once a week. You go every few months and forget once something bad can happen quick.

If I do the math correctly you come in (after fermenting to dryness) at just under 9 % with the honey added. Sounds right for what you want. Just remember that aging means as little headspace in your carboy as possible, and checking it every few months to make sure the airlock doesn't go dry!

Care to share your math? I'm curious here I would like a good 9-10% cider. I don't have access to honey crisp cider though.

Care to share your math? I'm curious here I would like a good 9-10% cider. I don't have access to honey crisp cider though.

Averaging the cider at 50 gravity points, and the honey at around 40 the combined total comes to 420. 420 ÷ 6 gallons gets you a SG of 1.070. If fermented to dryness, that comes in at around 9%. :)

Averaging the cider at 50 gravity points, and the honey at around 40 the combined total comes to 420. 420 ÷ 6 gallons gets you a SG of 1.070. If fermented to dryness, that comes in at around 9%. :)

I haven't heard the term gravity points before, I'm working my way through Palmer's book and did a google search and I see they come up in chapter 12. I'll have to check back here once I understand. Thanks.

I've done 3 batches of 5 gal cider with 3 lbs honey. They've all been tasty. I usually leave them in primary for a month or two, then bottle at 2.7 vols. and age in the bottles.

I have a 1 gal with 9 oz honey batch going right now. Considering racking it onto some fresh ginger as an experiment.

Mesa,
You mean juice from honeycrisp apples, correct? Rather than other juice to which you added honey as a sweetner.... I am very curious about the honeycrisp apple juice and what kind of hard cider flavor it will have, so please keep me posted. Thanks.

Never seen the Honeycrisp juice.. until this week. I've seen the apples at the supermarket.. but never bought any as they are (here) much more expensive than the Gala's, Fuji's, etc. Anyhow, the juice/cider is much thicker.. looking creamy.. than the other unfiltered juice. Six bucks a gallon.. seemed worth a shot. I'll pour off a cup and add some yeast and give it a shot.

How did it turn out? I am going to try it soon with 100% honeycrisp apple cider.. Should I backsweeten?

It turned out great. I ended up letting it age for about 6 months. By that time, it cleared completely and it had a pronounced apple flavor. When I tasted it before I transferred it to the secondary it was very tart, but after a while, the apple flavor returned. It was somewhat sweet, but nothing like most of the commercial ciders out there, and certainly not champagne dry either.

Back