Has your body's reaction to beer changed over the years?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hio3791

Reaction score
I've noticed that as I get older, I'm not able to drink as I used to. It began to change, for me, after turning 40. That doesn't bother me. However, I'm about to turn 44, and I'm down to 2 beers as my daily limit. More than that and I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a fast heart beat. Tylenol before bed seems to help.

I also feel the effects of alcohol much sooner. Maybe it's just understanding my body better but I prefer to drink beer in the late afternoon, early evening and I don't drink past 7 anymore. If I go past 2 beers in that time span, I'll feel the effects much more than I used to. I also don't crave beer like I once did. I don't drink anything else besides beer.

I stopped drinking during the week. Drinking only on the weekends and only in moderation.

Have you noticed similar changes? Is it all part of getting old? Geez, I'm only 44! I'd like to know if there are others going thru similar changes... Or if I should see my doctor! LOL

I'm a year ahead of you. I started noticing a difference around 40 too. Two beers is a good number for me lately. If I overdo it, I can actually feel it for days after.

I turn 35 this summer so I'm about 10 years younger than you but I have also noticed a difference in the way my body deals with alcohol. I drink 4-6 nights a week and I usually drink 2-4 beers when I do drink. I've noticed if I drink to the end of that spectrum I have a hard time getting up in the morning and my stomach can be a little unhappy. It just depends what I did leading up to the beers. If I ate decently for the day, and drank my fair share of water, I find the negative side effects are lesser than if I ate like crap and didn't drink any water throughout the day.
When I was younger it didn't matter at all how late I was up, how many beers I had, what I ate during the day, etc... It is part of getting older but, at the same time, I'm happy I'm not up closing down bars on a Tuesday night and drinking who knows how many beers every night of the week! Looking back I can't believe I did that when I was younger... Oh well, alas... Now I'm married and have 2 kids under 3 year old so my free time, and sleep, is pretty scarce. I'm happy to have 5 gallons on tap to tip a couple when I can.

I'm trying to get down to just being a weekend warrior. My beer will last longer and I'll hopefully lose a few lbs. I'm 6'2 230 lbs so I could afford to lose about 15 lbs or so at least! Fewer 16oz curls in the evening will def help with that! :tank:

I've noticed that as I get older, I'm not able to drink as I used to. It began to change, for me, after turning 40. That doesn't bother me. However, I'm about to turn 44, and I'm down to 2 beers as my daily limit. More than that and I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a fast heart beat. Tylenol before bed seems to help.

I also feel the effects of alcohol much sooner. Maybe it's just understanding my body better but I prefer to drink beer in the late afternoon, early evening and I don't drink past 7 anymore. If I go past 2 beers in that time span, I'll feel the effects much more than I used to. I also don't crave beer like I once did. I don't drink anything else besides beer.

I stopped drinking during the week. Drinking only on the weekends and only in moderation.

Have you noticed similar changes? Is it all part of getting old? Geez, I'm only 44! I'd like to know if there are others going thru similar changes... Or if I should see my doctor! LOL

I'm 63 and can't drink as much either, but I drink 3 or 4 home brews everyday except Saturdays when we usually go out and I'll drink Captain Morgan with Diet Coke. When I was 40 I could easily drink 5 or 6 beers/drinks a day. But yeah, we all get a little wussified as we get older.

I'm 55.

If I have to get up for work, I never have more than 2 beers - usually 1. I probably drink 1-2 work nights a week.

On the weekends, 4 is my limit. Any more than that and I feel like complete crap the next day.

I could drink tons when in college, a decade later a 6 pack could give me a wicked hangover. When I started brewing 6 years ago, I could handle 3-4. Now at 62 y.o. I can easily handle a 6 pack, 7 gets me a little unsettled the next day. I don't want to push it to find out what the limit is.

So, I seem to be the reverse of everyone else, my tolerance has gone UP!

I could drink tons when in college, a decade later a 6 pack could give me a wicked hangover. When I started brewing 6 years ago, I could handle 3-4. Now at 62 y.o. I can easily handle a 6 pack, 7 gets me a little unsettled the next day. I don't want to push it to find out what the limit is.

So, I seem to be the reverse of everyone else, my tolerance has gone UP!

I'll keep practicing....

Seriously, I would see a dr. I have had multiple heart issues / surgeries. Could be alcohol induced a fib. Not serious, treatable. But worth running some tests. Even with my medical issues, I don't have a racing heart from 2 beers.

OTOH, hangovers from 4+ beers are excruciating @ age 45. Used to drink 12 or more n a big night.

I've found with more and more years of practice i've been able to increase my daily intake with fewer and fewer side effects.

I think I'm closer to ^that^ than the OP.

I'm pretty frickin' Medicare-eligible old but my daily consumption for the last 15 years that I've been home-brewing has been pretty darned stable: two pours after work/before dinner, a glass of wine with dinner, two more beers nursed after dinner, and shortly before bedtime (which as you might tell is on the late side) a half pint of my chocolate imperial stout (which pretty much plants me in bed for a solid sleep - I'm sipping it now).

I could count the number of hangovers over that time without using toes.
Compared to my Bourbon Years in the 70s-80s, I think my body is way happier with beer :D

But it's a big body (6' 5" ~230). Probably not an appropriate regimen for someone much slighter...

Cheers!

I'm 29 and my body's reaction to beer is very unpredictable. I never really know how many I'll have until I'm done. Just recently I killed a sixer of Lagunitas Brown Shugga (9.7 ABV) in one night! Most nights I don't have more than 3 of any beer.

My hangovers are unpredictable too. Sometimes a night of small alcohol consumption will make me reach for the aspirin the next morning, other times I will get drunk and have almost no hangover at all.

31 and I've also noticed a rise in tolerance. I usually don't drink during the week unless I'm like really stressed out, then I might go to the garage when the kids go to bed a chug one or two half liter cans but no more. Come weekend I've noticed what gave me a proper buzz earlier, usually 4x0,5l, sometimes five, I now can down six or even seven if I don't pass out from just being so damn tired. Hangovers, I've noticed have actually become easier, if I haven't been binging I might have some feelings in the morning but they usually fade when I'm taking a nap on the sofa, but IF I actually can get out somewhere and totally let loose on the weekend I'm feeling the aftermath at worst wednesday :D

I've also noticed that the amount of hangover isn't related to how much I've drank but more to the fact how much time there was between the last one and going to bed. I have experienced a one beer hangover a few times after downing one and going to bed soon after.

I get bad acid reflux and IBS flareups when I drink beer for a couple of consecutive days. Probably also weight related but the beer doesn't help.

I'm about to turn 44, and I'm down to 2 beers as my daily limit. More than that and I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a fast heart beat. Tylenol before bed seems to help.

It seems odd that drinking beer would produce a racing heart beat sensation. I'm not sure if you're asking for any advice, but I really think it would be a good idea for you to go cold turkey, stop drinking alcohol and go see your doctor and see what he says.
Maybe its nothing at all to worry about.
The medical term for feeling your heart beat is Palpitations and there could be several reasons for having it. Here's a good article for more information:
http://patient.info/blogs/sarah-say...-rhythms---getting-to-the-heart-of-the-matter

My own body reactions to beer and homebrewing is weight gain. I'm 58 and like to have at least one beer after work every day. I have a stressful job, commute a long way and really look forward to relaxing and having a brew. I've put on an extra 10-15 lbs over the last few years and that is a combination of eating too much crap, not enough exercise and the beer.
More than one IPA and I get heartburn.
So I'm brewing more low ABV beers these days like English mild and Bavarian lagers and try to keep it to one or two a night. A few days a week I won't drink any. Four or five beers is a big night for me.

I haven't noticed much change over the years. My body still reacts the same way -- I get better looking and can dance better.

My tolerance has gone way up since I started homebrewing. If anything I ought to cut back.

I'm 33 and haven't noticed a lot. I can't drink as much as I could at 23, but I don't try to as much either.

I haven't noticed any adverse effects, but my washing machine keeps shrinking my shirts and pants. :D

I don't think my tolerance has changed, but my focus has changed from gettin drunk to enjoying my drink. I'm 32 and can handle about a pint or two, used to put away a fifth of tequila every night. Beer just makes me sleepy, but i prefer that to gettin ripped. Maybe it's not age but maturity?

I cant handle drinking lots anymore...im still fairly young at 28 but the hangovers are just irritating now and over the years you just get tired of feeling like death the next day. Its a good thing people slow down as they age because we would have a lot more people dying from liver failure if we all drank like we did when we were young.

Pushing 50 (49) here, and your noticed alcohol tolerance seems normal.
The racing heart does not, and should be of concern I would think.
Could be nothing, or an easily treatable yet potentially life threatening condition...like sleep apnea.

At 39 i´m drinking more then ever ... but I have night sweats - acid reflux and low stamina .... but then again i´ve got a massive investment in brewing gear - so i´m not going to stop drinking over a few girly health problems....

I give most of my beer away to happy friends and I still make a **** ton of beer...I drink much less of it than I used to when I first started brewing..

I love my beer, it just causes me to have sleep problems when I drink more than 2 and when you get to the mid 40's, you have to get as much sleep as you can to keep the brain happy.

My intake is about 2-3 bombers worth a week including weekends max.
Most weeks its about 1-2 bombers or 4-5 beers max during a full week.

I also drink pretty much nothing but water during the week which helps across the board drinking or not.

:rockin:

I feel slow/off the next morning after a few full pints. I feel like lots of water before, during, and after helps a lot.

This. Drink water all day and some during the evenings. I am no scientist, but if I stay hydrated, I do not get hangovers.

The racing heart does not, and should be of concern I would think.
Could be nothing, or an easily treatable yet potentially life threatening condition...like sleep apnea.

^this is a good possibility^

Used to wake with the same heart racing and it turned out to apnea. And it was worse when I had been drinking. You can find out for yourself with a $50 recording pulse oximeter.

I'm 31 and I notice more and more if I have 3-4 beer I feel like I felt 5 years ago when we went out on a Bender. If I have 2 I'll know I drank but goes away with a coffee. One thing I have noticed though is a lot of nights I really over do it and get pretty bent up I'll feel great the next day. Yet the nights I'm responsible and have 3 I get a hang over. So then you say well I should just always drink 12. Then when I think that and I'll be fine I get the wicked hang over that I can't move. God I wish I could go back to college.

At 39 i´m drinking more then ever ... but I have night sweats - acid reflux and low stamina .... but then again i´ve got a massive investment in brewing gear - so i´m not going to stop drinking over a few girly health problems....

Be careful.

Just hit 50 here but noticed about 10 years ago I couldn't get a good night sleep if I drank that day. As time has gone on it has gotten worst. Just as little as a single 220z can have me tossing and turning all night and maybe even wake up with sweats if I drink it too close to bed time. Just a really poor nights sleep that tends to leave me exhausted and in a daze the next day. So yea, I brew, I taste, and I mostly give away. Wish I would have discovered home brewing 20 years ago, expense would have been more easily justified if I drank it all :)

I have made an appointment with a cardiologist about the palpitations. For the most part, we eat healthy. We make our own meals and rarely eat out. I routinely get my pressure and cholesterol checked and it's never been a problem. I've certainly gained weight over the years but I'm sure it's mostly from the beer. I drink between half a gallon to a gallon of water a day, no sodas or anything else.

Interesting that a couple of people mentioned apnea. I hadn't considered that. I snore, loudly, not sure if there's a relationship but I'll be sure to mention it to the doctor.

I really appreciate everyone's comment. This is a great hobby but we need to be responsible and stay healthy... So we can keep brewing for a long time!

I'm 33 and haven't noticed a lot. I can't drink as much as I could at 23, but I don't try to as much either.

I haven't noticed any adverse effects, but my washing machine keeps shrinking my shirts and pants. :D

I have the same problem with our washing machine. While I'm *considerably* older than you, the "I don't try to [drink] as much" is something I can also relate to. In fact, it has been usurped by the "high" I get from the homebrew hobby. The enjoyment of the occasional self-produced pint is a bonus. My body simply can't indulge the way it used to in ANYTHING without paying for it. :D

My hangovers are unpredictable too. Sometimes a night of small alcohol consumption will make me reach for the aspirin the next morning, other times I will get drunk and have almost no hangover at all.
Same for me. I'm 33 and have been actively cutting back this last 6 months to year. I was drinking probably 3-5 pints a night, more on weekends. Now I try to have no more than 32-36oz in a night, even on weekends (doesn't always happen, but strive to not get drunk). I got stupid hammered a couple weeks ago for the first time in a while and felt hung over for about 2 days. It was bad. I never want to do that again. Never used to bother me, I'd probably have beers the next night, but this one was an eye opener. Everything in moderation, including moderation, I guess...

I think it's a matter of what you're used to as well. Since I was used to drinking a lot a year or more ago, getting hammered wasn't a huge deal, just feel a little crappy in the morning. But now, I value going to bed SOBER and getting a good night's sleep. So I tend to drink my beers earlier in the evening if I can help it.

Also, smaller pours! It's a psychological thing.

But now, I value going to bed SOBER and getting a good night's sleep. So I tend to drink my beers earlier in the evening if I can help it.

This! I don't like to drink after 7 so I tend to enjoy my beers earlier, 4-7 kind of thing. I really like going to bed completely sober.

A few doesn't affect my sleep (my shoulders are so locked up it helps me relax more than do any harm) but my wife has complained that if I drink even a little more than a few I snore like a boar the whole night, if I get smashed I toss and turn so much I often accidentally smack her while turning which is why I normally sleep on the couch if I know I'm gonna be drinking more.

I'm only 30 and really enjoy craft beer (can't drink anything that comes in a 12 or 24 pack). I rarely drink wine or liquor, but craft beer is my go-to beverage on weekends and stressful week days.

I stopped drinking during the week as I am trying to stay healthier and loose weight (not easy for a young daddy), but I can say that I REALLY miss my 7:30-8 o-clock brew.

Funny how my hangovers can vary from time to time. I can drink 5-6 brews without a single hangover effect the next day, where other times I drink 2 and have a day-long headache. Brew nights are a good example: I generally start brewing around 7pm (when the little one goes to sleep) and can down 5-6 brews and go to bed at 2am and not have a hangover. Hum!

I'm only 30 and really enjoy craft beer (can't drink anything that comes in a 12 or 24 pack). I rarely drink wine or liquor, but craft beer is my go-to beverage on weekends and stressful week days.
A bit short sighted, don't you think? Many craft beers come in 12 packs, even 15 packs.

I really enjoy having a pour after work, one while making dinner, and maybe one after dinner. Just depends on what's happening. But, like the OP, I try not to have much beer after a certain time, usually 8 or 9 for me. Give me a couple hours to actually get tired before going to bed. Instead of being tired from beer...

At the end of the day ETOH is a poison, and even though it tastes good, it's not good for you (in large quantities). As we age our bodies get less tolerant to the poisonous effects and the hangovers get worse. Really nothing we can do about it other than regulate how much you ingest, or just put up with the consequences if you over indulge.

Alcohol...the cause of...and solution to...all life's problems

Latest posts

Back