Has my wine oxidised?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

I am new to this buy got this kit for Christmas albeit a bit early http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Wine_Kits.html I have done everything as per the instructions but over the last. 2 weeks after racking the wine had changed colour to an very orange colour

I am a bit worries that it has oxidised but have carried on with the instructions and added the finings etc

Do you think it is ruined? Can it still become a drinkable wine? I do hope so as its my first.

Any advice at all would be appreciated

John

I

I

vestawinemaker said:
Hi

I am new to this buy got this kit for Christmas albeit a bit early http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Wine_Kits.html I have done everything as per the instructions but over the last. 2 weeks after racking the wine had changed colour to an very orange colour

I am a bit worries that it has oxidised but have carried on with the instructions and added the finings etc

Do you think it is ruined? Can it still become a drinkable wine? I do hope so as its my first.

Any advice at all would be appreciated

John

I

I

What kind of wine, have you tasted or smelled it?

Hi its white pinot kit smells strong but first time i ever did this so not sure how it should taste? Did smell strong from the beginning though.

Speaking with some pals they say they never had anything go wrong when using concentrate and they didn't try that hard so might get one if these going as well as the juice?

I really just don't want to be drinking orange coloured wine! Do you think it will clear out now that i have added the finings?

Thanks

J

vestawinemaker said:
Hi its white pinot kit smells strong but first time i ever did this so not sure how it should taste? Did smell strong from the beginning though.

Speaking with some pals they say they never had anything go wrong when using concentrate and they didn't try that hard so might get one if these going as well as the juice?

I really just don't want to be drinking orange coloured wine! Do you think it will clear out now that i have added the finings?

Thanks

J

Unless you had it exposed to air for any length of time, I doubt it is oxidized.

Let it clear and see what happens. It could be the yeast that is giving the color.

Once it clears, give it a smell and taste.

An oxidized wine has a distictive light brown 'halo' that is easily seen when you pour a sample into a wine glass and hold sample up to white background. As you tilt glass to look at wine gainst background you will see that area of distinction from wine in the glass and the appearance of it as it blends to white background. Non-oxidized is clear, oxidized has brown/golden tint. If you have every seen blood separate, then you know what I mean about the 'halo'.
Also, some whites get shocky and go thru color change, but commonly at bottling. Check out the movie, Bottle Shock, a true story.

saramc said:
Also, some whites get shocky and go thru color change, but commonly at bottling. Check out the movie, Bottle Shock, a true story.

Love that movie!

Back