Has anyone used this Temp Controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psycotte

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard to tell but looking at the picture it seems to have only one relay. If this is true then it is only a single stage controller. In the question section someone asks if it is two-stage but the answers are conflicting.

Amazon has a great return policy so you could get it and look to see if it is indeed two-stage. If not, return it.

It's not the cost difference I'm really worried about. I like the Fahrenheit on the one I linked and I am just wondering if there is a reason to avoid it from people's experience. I don't want a crappy unit just because it reads in Fahrenheit but if people have had good experiences with it then I would prefer it over Celsius for the extra $5.

It is hard to tell but looking at the picture it seems to have only one relay. If this is true then it is only a single stage controller. In the question section someone asks if it is two-stage but the answers are conflicting.

Amazon has a great return policy so you could get it and look to see if it is indeed two-stage. If not, return it.

Yes it is a two stage controller. I use it to control my fridge and a heat wrap for my fermentation box. Works great!

Neil M. answered on November 24, 2013

I believe it is only one stage. There are settings for cooling or heating, but I don't know why. I am using it to regulate an egg incubator and it works very well.

Sean McDermott answered on November 26, 2013

Neil M. do you frequent HBT? :p

I am inclined to believe a Homebrewer versus the Egg warmer guy. I might have to pull the trigger and deliver HBT the answer. :)

They have the same ones on eBay, I say that because i am in the market for another one. I have the celsius one and it's worked great. But also I am thinking on getting the Fahrenheit one. If the only deference is the F instead of C, then I don't think there would be a problem with them.

What is the amp rating of the relay contacts?

Can your directly control a power device or need to use an SSR or contactor with the controller?

What is the amp rating of the relay contacts?

Can your directly control a power device or need to use an SSR or contactor with the controller?

Hope you are not asking me that. LOL!

I am trying to find out if anyone here on HBT has experience with this controller...

If it's the one from Homebrewfinds earlier, I believe it said it was from China. Take that for what it's worth. To me, I'd be a bit wary. But that's just me.

If it's the one from Homebrewfinds earlier, I believe it said it was from China. Take that for what it's worth. To me, I'd be a bit wary. But that's just me.

Of course it's from China... isn't everything?

I was going to buy an STC-1000 and while shopping stumbled upon this. It reads in Fahrenheit. For $19.00 + $4.50 shipping I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with it or should I just go with the STC-1000 instead?

http://www.amazon.com/110~120V-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B00C4TMSWI/ref=pd_sbs_indust_5

That's a single stage unit, and will control either heating or cooling, but not both at the same time. I have 3 of them and they're great for when you only need single stage control. For my ferm chamber where I need dual stage, I use an STC-1000. Since the STC-1000 costs less than the single stage unit these days, and has more functionality, that's probably the direction I'd take. :shrug:

That's a single stage unit, and will control either heating or cooling, but not both at the same time. I have 3 of them and they're great for when you only need single stage control. For my ferm chamber where I need dual stage, I use an STC-1000. Since the STC-1000 costs less than the single stage unit these days, and has more functionality, that's probably the direction I'd take. :shrug:

Thank you Juan!

That's the answer I was looking for. :rockin:

To confirm, the WH7016 (I see it's now up to revision F) is a single stage controller. And, yes, it's from China - just like the STC-1K and every other device that looks like them.

It's been used by at least a few folks that asked for help with the wiring over the last couple of years.
If you have an intractable need for Fahrenheit, there are only a few options, this being one for single-stage use, and the (pricey) Love TSS2 for dual stage...

Cheers!

I've been using the same model, omit in celcius. The performance should be the same. I have haven't had any problems at all with mine. I have 2 of them... One on my keezer and one in my fermentation chamber.

Found that one on e-bay a while ago for less than $13 with free shipping from "sureelectronics". Just did a quick search and they are still pretty cheap certainly less than amazon. Works great, no complaints so far.

I was going to buy an STC-1000 and while shopping stumbled upon this. It reads in Fahrenheit. For $19.00 + $4.50 shipping I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with it or should I just go with the STC-1000 instead?

http://www.amazon.com/110~120V-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B00C4TMSWI/ref=pd_sbs_indust_5

It depends on how you're planning to use it. I was looking at this one too and I'm actually the person who asked the question on Amazon whether it's dual stage or not. I got four responses. Two said it is and two said it's not but one of the people who said it's dual is a homebrewer so maybe he knows what he is talking about.

Back