Has anyone used Hazelnut Emulsion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretedonkey

Reaction score
I am hard pressed to find hazelnut extract - I am brewing Jamils chocolate hazelnut porter - and all I have been able to come across was hazelnut emulsion (it contains water, propylyne glycol, corn syrup, sugar and molasses)... It's used for baking and 1tsp of emulsion = 1 tsp extract...

Was planning on adding it to the keg today with the beer, but questioning whether I should hold off and just keg without the emulsion

Thoughts? Thanks!

I have used hazelnut essence (an essence meant to be mixed with vodka to make hazelnut liqueur) in a porter very successfully. I added before bottling and it really added that nice hazelnut aroma. However, after ~12 months of ageing, the aroma is noticeably weaker - but I guess it's to be expected – same thing happens with aroma from the hops...

This is the one I used:
https://www.swedishconnections.co.uk/product/prestige-hazelnut-liqueur/

Unfortunately I thought this stuff would be more readily available and I could not find essence either...
All I have to work with is the emulsion stuff... so debating whether to go for it or not

I don't see why you shouldn't. If that emulsion stuff you have is for food flavouring, just go ahead and use it. However, you would need to dial in how much you need to add – I would take a pint of your beer, some essence in syringe and start adding it ML by ML to the beer while tasting. Once you're happy with the taste, just use the math for all the beer you have.

I don't see why you shouldn't. If that emulsion stuff you have is for food flavouring, just go ahead and use it. However, you would need to dial in how much you need to add – I would take a pint of your beer, some essence in syringe and start adding it ML by ML to the beer while tasting. Once you're happy with the taste, just use the math for all the beer you have.

Good idea... i was debating giving it a quick boil.. but I figure I'll just throw it in.. it was sealed so should be clean

Back