Has anyone tried out or have a ss brewtech glycol chiller? Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJOCONNELL

Reaction score
Have been looking for reviews as i mull over that as an option seems perfect for my needs. Four 7 gallon chronical/brew buckets from ss.

Just looking to get feedback. Currently using the keezer with a corny filled with water but it a takes up valuable keezer space my keezer fits three cornies and a 5 gallon co2 which I did move to the outside. And I have the water loops go through the collar. Have it plumbed for two fermenters but I think the recovery time will be too high if I try a third and the ambient temp rises. Hence looking for a dedicated chiller. Thought about using my spare fridge but it is full with 2.5 gallon kegs.

I got the same unit that SSB uses for there homebrew system. Its pretty damn powerful. Kinda loud and rattles after a bit, but does the job. The one from Rapids is cheaper and it comes with a very nice pump. You can un-hook the pump and control it with a separate temp control. I havent tried yet, but Im sure there's room for additional submersibles. You can remove the pump and use nothing but multiple submersibles as well. I plan to use it to chill a custom serving chamber and for fermentation control. There are some reviews on the website: http://rapidswholesale.com/review/product/list/id/9951/category/334/

Used mine for the first time last month. Was able to keep my batch at 67 with very little cycling in a 95+ San Diego garage. Glycol solution stayed at a nice 29 degrees. The unit looks great, very easy to set-up. The only problem I had was the mess made from the lines sweating. Went down to Home Depot and bought some foam tubes to run the lines in. That should take care of it.

I love their stuff!

Jim

Mine works great. I have done numerous batches in a 90 degree plus garage with great results. Lagering in the high 40s is no problem. I used a cooler full of ice bottles and a pump to keep the conical temp controlled prior to this and it was difficult to keep the temp in the 60s unless I was changing out ice bottles every 6-8 hours.

I have the rapids one and have no complaints. I bought mine before they offered one.

Am I correct in saying that the one from Rapids Wholesale is the exact same as SS Brewing's apart from the fact that the Rapids Wholesale one comes with a pump (and different lid on the glycol bath)?

Am moving to a new house in a few weeks, and am looking to switch to the SS Brewmaster Conicals (two half barrels) and dealing with freezers is going to be impossible. Here in California, I'll get pinged for tax on the SS Brewtech model, so there's about a $200 difference for me.

Outstanding. How difficult is it to remove the included pump, and replace it? (Is it hardwired somewhere, or just plugged in somewhere?)

I honestly don't know as I don't have one - but I believe it's just a submersible pump that can be removed.

Check out the thread titled: "Doubling Down: SS Brewtech Conical + FTSS + Glycol Power Pack" and contact the OP mfabe - he's the one who first posted about this chiller AFAIK

I honestly don't know as I don't have one - but I believe it's just a submersible pump that can be removed.

Check out the thread titled: "Doubling Down: SS Brewtech Conical + FTSS + Glycol Power Pack" and contact the OP mfabe - he's the one who first posted about this chiller AFAIK

Did just that, and seems the pump is indeed hardwired, so needs to be removed. Probably not that big a job, just unscrewing wherever it's connected to and removing it (apparently it's loud and somewhat crap) then fabbing a simple cover for where it used to sit, and adding some extra inlet/outlets. Couple of Harbor Freight pond pumps to match the specs of the SS Brewing ones, and off we go.

The pump is not crap, louder than a march pump, but quieter than the compressor cooling fan. It can be disconnected from the control box. I simply attached a nema 5-15 plug and plugged it into a temp controller. I think you would have to remove it if you needed room for additional pumps, however. Unless you use a diaphragm pump to suck out the glycol.

The pump is not crap, louder than a march pump, but quieter than the compressor cooling fan. It can be disconnected from the control box. I simply attached a nema 5-15 plug and plugged it into a temp controller. I think you would have to remove it if you needed room for additional pumps, however. Unless you use a diaphragm pump to suck out the glycol.

Any chance you could snap a pic of the disconnect point? I have zero problems with DIY, except when it comes to refrigerant - makes me nervous. Feels like bomb disposal, one false move and "psssssst". :D

I am sorry! I don't have a picture, or the unit any more. It was sold to a brewery.

The pump is on as soon as the switch is turned on. The compressor only turns on whenever the temperature of the glycol is above the set point saved on the control box.

Step one: Un-plug the unit and verify the unit is off.

The pump has a cord going into the electrical box. A screw or two keeps the box closed up. Open the box. Follow the wires inside and unscrew or cut the wires from the splice and pull the wire out from the box. I remember having to use electrical tape on one of the connections after cutting the wire. Either replace that connector, or tape it up well. Attach a replacement nema 5-15 plug to the pump cord. Now, you can use a temp controller to turn the pump on and off as needed, and the built in controller will keep the glycol bath cold. The unit is pre-programmed with upper and lower temperature set limits. (28-34*F) There are instructions from BVL on how to adjust those as needed. I kept mine rather warm (40ish) to save some energy.

WELL GO AND BUY IT BACK AND TAKE THE @#$# PICTURES THEN!!!!!!! :mad:

(Kidding - thanks for the info! As long as the wiring is accessible via a panel of some sort, then am good to go. Was worried that the wiring would disappear inside the unit, and would mean I'd need to snip it and cap it with wire nuts or something equally sketchy where liquid is involved)

Back