Has anyone modified a Mr. Beer lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old Mr. Beer fermenter laying around that I would still like to use for smaller batches and test runs. It has the notched top just above the threads. I was wondering if anyone has tried to sand down the top to make the lid flush and get rid of the notched. Thus sealing the fermenter. Then drilling the lid to place a grommet for an airlock

So has anyone modified their Mr beer fermenter to create a better seal and install an airlock? Google searches didn't come up with anything but rather how to modify a brew kit. The forum search didn't seem to return anything in the realm I was looking for.

Thank you all in advance and have a nice evening.

I have never tried that but on the mr beer web site it states do not over tighten lid or it will blow off. So I would just drill a hole in the lid for a fermatation lock. And over tighten the lid

I have an old Mr. Beer fermenter laying around that I would still like to use for smaller batches and test runs. It has the notched top just above the threads. I was wondering if anyone has tried to sand down the top to make the lid flush and get rid of the notched. Thus sealing the fermenter. Then drilling the lid to place a grommet for an airlock

So has anyone modified their Mr beer fermenter to create a better seal and install an airlock? Google searches didn't come up with anything but rather how to modify a brew kit. The forum search didn't seem to return anything in the realm I was looking for.

Thank you all in advance and have a nice evening.

I cut a hole in the lid for a rubber stopper and airlock, then went to the hardware store and bought a large rubber O-ring that went past the threads, so when I screwed down the lid, the O-ring was sandwiched between the lid and the bottom of the threads on the fermenter. Worked like a charm. :rockin:

I have never tried that but on the mr beer web site it states do not over tighten lid or it will blow off. So I would just drill a hole in the lid for a fermatation lock. And over tighten the lid

I cut a hole in the lid for a rubber stopper and airlock, then went to the hardware store and bought a large rubber O-ring that went past the threads, so when I screwed down the lid, the O-ring was sandwiched between the lid and the bottom of the threads on the fermenter. Worked like a charm. :rockin:

Thank you both for the suggestions!! I think I'll take the lid to the hardware store for a gasket and tighten it down.

Also, what size rubber stopper did you go with Dave? What size hole did you have to drill too?

Thanks again guys! [emoji106]

I make 6.5 gallon all grain batches that I split into three mr beer kegs and it works nicely as-is. I like they have spigots so you don't have to use a racking cane to get it into the bottling bucket.

I'm doing the same. Here is the video I got the idea from

For the seals I got these from ACE - http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1279084

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both for the suggestions!! I think I'll take the lid to the hardware store for a gasket and tighten it down.

Also, what size rubber stopper did you go with Dave? What size hole did you have to drill too?

I used a black O-ring about 4-1/8 id. The O-ring went to the base of the LBK threads and the white lid sealed it down. Then I cut a 1-1/4 in hole in the lid. I cut it with a utility knife but a drill bit would've made a nicer hole. It sealed up just fine, though.

My Cooper's DIY fermenter does not have an air lock. I have been using it pretty much continuously since December of 2012. The plastic primary fermenter I use for wine does not have an airlock. I bought it in 2013. I do more beer than wine but I've still done plenty using this fermenter. In my experience an airlock is not required in a primary fermenter.

The Mr. Beer LBK (little brown keg?) has been around a long time. I'm pretty sure that if it needed an airlock to work correctly one would have been added by now.

My Cooper's DIY fermenter does not have an air lock. I have been using it pretty much continuously since December of 2012. The plastic primary fermenter I use for wine does not have an airlock. I bought it in 2013. I do more beer than wine but I've still done plenty using this fermenter. In my experience an airlock is not required in a primary fermenter.

The Mr. Beer LBK (little brown keg?) has been around a long time. I'm pretty sure that if it needed an airlock to work correctly one would have been added by now.

Definitely don't need an airlock, but I love using the airlock to monitor my yeast activity. Just a personal preference, but both ways will make beer!

Definitely don't need an airlock, but I love using the airlock to monitor my yeast activity. Just a personal preference, but both ways will make beer!

Fair enough!

My primary fermenters are made of fairly clear plastic so I can see what's going on in there. Back when I still did canned kits (and was new to brewing in general) I enjoyed watching some of the Cooper's kits take off. My favorite was the original series stout. Man did that throw a massive krausen.

If you drill, a 0.5 inch hole, you can install a rubber grommet ; the same size as used in fermenter bucket lids. You can get the grommets from your LHBS, or any hardware store.

If you drill, a 0.5 inch hole, you can install a rubber grommet ; the same size as used in fermenter bucket lids. You can get the grommets from your LHBS, or any hardware store.

Thanks I found them today. I'll probably drill the hole later this week. I also found a gasket that fits in my lid. I'll post pictures after I make the changes.

Thanks again to everyone for their input!!

Are you sure you don't need an airlock. I'm sure the bit names in craft brewing all must use airlocks. This is what Sierra Nevada uses. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xClXKMhcFr0[/ame]

Back