Has anyone ever created a poll and consolidated recipes for each style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDarkChemist

Reaction score
I am new to brewing, have limited experience on different styles.

Has anyone ever consolidated a list of "base" recipes, one for each main style, that is the best basic recipe for that style? I know there is a lot of preference in that, but as a new brewer I would like to brew one of each style, knowing that I am starting with a good solid recipe, so I can learn and adjust accordingly.

I just go to morebeer.com and browse the ingredient kits. There are many others online, but morebeer is my preference.

As you already mentioned yourself, there is no such thing as "the best" recipe. However, for what you want I would buy "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and Palmer. One solid recipe for each style.

Second Brewing Classic Styles. Very informative and all recipes (I believe) are award winners.

I third Brewing Classic Styles. The last three recipes I have brewed (Belgian Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Dry Stout) have all been from the book and all three have turned out great (and have been super basic as well).

As you already mentioned yourself, there is no such thing as "the best" recipe. However, for what you want I would buy "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and Palmer. One solid recipe for each style.

You can also dig through the Brewing Network archives of the Jamil show, where he goes over each beer style and walks you though the recipes in a little more detail. TONS of good information in those old shows. And, with a lot more dick and fart jokes than the book.

Yup, Brewing Classic Styles is a bit like what you're looking for with an award-winning recipe for every BJCP style (Which the author wrote), but if you want some more insight into the styles, where they came from, and why they are what they are today, check out Designing Great Beers styles section.

Designing Great Beers is also a phenomenal book, but it's a little more advanced that JZ's book and doesn't cover all the styles (since it goes into a ton more detail).

Back