Has anyone dry hopped with el dorado?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
I'm just wondering because I brewed a smash with el dorado and wanted to stay true to the brew.

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

Awesome can't wait to pick up my supplies this week. How much did you dry hop with?

I used 1 oz for a three gallon batch. It was an amber, so I didn't want over the top aroma. For something like a pale or IPA I'd double that or go 1 oz/gallon.

I had a friend give me a LOT of el dorado hops. I made a beer this summer with some of them. I called it an American red. It wasn't dryhopped with el dorado, but I used it for whirlpool hops.

10.5 gallon batch, OG 1.052 FG 1.010

16 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 79.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) 7.4 %
1 lbs Aromatic Malt (Abbey Malt) (26.0 SRM) 4.9 %
12.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) 3.7 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L (75.0 SRM) 2.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) 2.5 %
2.00 oz Chinook Leaf [13.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min 27.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [13.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min 9.1 IBUs
2.00 oz El Dorado [15.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

It was, um, interesting. It had a definite "candy" hops flavor to it, like the smell of Jolly Ranchers.

I served it to Pappers, Homercidal, and a few other friends. At first, they sort of made a face but a few said "It grows on you!" and seemed to enjoy it.

For the second keg, I dryhopped it with cascade and citra, and it improved quite a lot.

I think el dorado is ok in mix with other hops, but I think as a single hop it might be too "candy"-like.

I had a friend give me a LOT of el dorado hops. I made a beer this summer with some of them. I called it an American red. It wasn't dryhopped with el dorado, but I used it for whirlpool hops.

10.5 gallon batch, OG 1.052 FG 1.010

16 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 79.0 %

1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) 7.4 %

1 lbs Aromatic Malt (Abbey Malt) (26.0 SRM) 4.9 %

12.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) 3.7 %

8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L (75.0 SRM) 2.5 %

8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) 2.5 %

2.00 oz Chinook Leaf [13.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min 27.8 IBUs

2.00 oz Citra [13.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min 9.1 IBUs

2.00 oz El Dorado [15.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

It was, um, interesting. It had a definite "candy" hops flavor to it, like the smell of Jolly Ranchers.

I served it to Pappers, Homercidal, and a few other friends. At first, they sort of made a face but a few said "It grows on you!" and seemed to enjoy it.

For the second keg, I dryhopped it with cascade and citra, and it improved quite a lot.

I think el dorado is ok in mix with other hops, but I think as a single hop it might be too "candy"-like.

Yooper seeing as how you are one of the brew masters here, I'm sure you can give me an idea if how my beer may turn out, and give me some good advice. What you said about wl dorado hops giving the beer a candy like flavor has me worried. I'll explain why. My recipe for this 5 gallon batch was 16 lbs of marris otter 4 oz of el dorado in the boil .5 at 60 .5 at 45 1oz at 30 1oz at 15 and another ounce at flame out. I mashed at 155 for around 90 minutes and fermented with a 2 l started if wlp 002. Now since life got in the way this batch has been sitting for close to two months in primary and I wanted to dry hop to add some more flavor and aroma that may have been lost in the long primary but now I think if I dry hope with more elders do it will be way too sweet what do you think?

1 oz in 5 gallons will not be overpoweringly candy-like, if you want to play it safe. My all-El Dorado amber (1 oz/3 gallons) scored a 39 and a 37 in two competitions, and none of the judge's tasting notes mentioned anything about candy flavors. I also did not taste anything like that. Maybe it depends on the brand or who grew the hops? (I know some brands of simcoe produce pinapple flavors, while others produce pine).

1 oz in 5 gallons will not be overpoweringly candy-like, if you want to play it safe. My all-El Dorado amber (1 oz/3 gallons) scored a 39 and a 37 in two competitions, and none of the judge's tasting notes mentioned anything about candy flavors. I also did not taste anything like that. Maybe it depends on the brand or who grew the hops? (I know some brands of simcoe produce pinapple flavors, while others produce pine).

I ended up saying fuxk it and dry hopped with 2 oz I'll be bottling Friday maybe Saturday lets hope it turns out good :)

I make an El Dorado IPA, and I dry hop with 2.2 oz. It is one excellent freaking beer! Here is the link to the recipe.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/quartermains-gold-ipa-466289/

It's hop bursted, so the flavor really comes through. I have made this a couple of times now. El Dorado is proving to be one of my favorite hops. It has a "tuity fruity" flavor to it...but no one flavor really stands out.

Personally, I would give it 7 to 10 days for dry hopping. But that's me.

I'm just being a bit cautious because last time I dry hopped I ended up leaving them in there for almost two weeks and ended up getting this very grassy flavor no Bueno but I can get on board with 7 days

I made a pale ale with them a couple of years ago, when they first came out. I used them in the boil (60/30 min) and as dryhop. I did not pick up any fruitiness at all. No watermellon, no Jolly rancher.

Then I used them in an IPA and I got lots of fruitiness. Odd.

I also used them in an american wheat beer (it's in my Recipes pulldown on the left there). I did taste them in that. They lent a slightly fruity flavor to the beer. I used them lightly as boil hops, and also as a light dry hop addition. Very good beer that.

No idea why I didn't always get the same effect others have with this hop. Like most hops, they probably should be mixed with other hops to make the flavor complex and not cloying.

No idea why I didn't always get the same effect others have with this hop. Like most hops, they probably should be mixed with other hops to make the flavor complex and not cloying.
I simply could just be the way your palate receptors work. I pick/don't pick up flavors that others do all of the time. Even in my own beers, I'll be talking about a flavor I'm picking up, while my buddy is saying, "Man....I don't taste that at all. I'm getting such and such a flavor."
As far as mixing hops with El Dorado....I really like it alone. I honestly don't know what would pair nicely with it anyway. Although, I did see some "melon" hops at Farmhouse brewing. Hmmmmmmmm.

Has anyone tried El Dorado with Barbe Rouge? I am planning a Red IPA and I am trying to compliment the berry and strawberry notes or Barbe Rouge with a balanced bittering hop (El Dorado) that also throws notes of fruit and hard candy:

1oz El Dorado 30 min @ 36 IBU
1oz Barbe Rouge 15 min @ 13 IBU
2oz Barbe Rouge 5 min @ 10 IBU
2oz Barbe Rouge 2 min @ 4.5 IBU
3oz Barbe Rouge Dry

SG 1.067

SRM 17

This is a variant on Jamil's "hop-bursted" Evil Twin.

Barbe Rouge Hops – Yakima Valley Hops

Barbe Rouge is a new and exciting hop variety developed in the legendary growing region of Alsace, France. Barbe Rouge is a bright and delicate aroma hop that offers ripe red fruit flavors of currant, strawberry, and raspberry. It also offers zesty citrus aromas of oranges and limes while some people describe a unique kumquat character. Barbe Rouge is well suited for American IPAs, NEIPAs, and pale ales while still being delicate enough to use in a modern twist on a classic pilsner.

Alpha Acid: 7 - 10%
Total Oil 1.1-1.6ml/100g
Myrcene 35-52 %
Humulene 15-25 %
Humulene / Caryophyllene 2.5-2-8
Linalool 4-5mg/100g
Farnesene 2.5-3.5 mg/100g
Geraniol 10 - 15mg / 100g

Back