Has anyone done "Rice Wine", like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SinginChef

Reaction score
I'm oblivious to the processes involved with making Sake, or "true", rice wine. But I have made this recipe several times, and it turns out to be pretty damn good. Is this basically what you guys do for rice wine?

http://www.swapnascuisine.com/2011/11/homemade-rice-wine-ari-wine.html

I've made three batches of this so far, all with different types of fruit added for flavor and aroma. Apricot, Pineapple, and Banana Mango. Gotta love to brew up something this simple, and its drinkable in about a month and a half.

I have read that before a long while back. It is not really a rice wine IMO because it has no ingredients to convert the starches/carbs in the rice into sugar for fermenting. The alcohol comes from the sugar added and not the rice.

I have no doubts it is a fine recipe and is probably really nice but it is not a Rice wine or Sake.

Gotcha. So rice wine would be more similar to all grain beer brewing where you actually extract the starches, convert them to sugar, and ferment that?

This stuff does taste pretty good, and it falls clear within a month of pitching the yeast. I wonder if the rice has some sort of gelatinous stuff that it releases and helps to clarify the wine? It's a really interesting recipe, and its about as cheap as skeeter pee. Hard to go wrong with that.

Rice wine is like beer but beer converts the grains first and then ferments. The grains are also converted with amylase enzymes from malted grains. Rice wine converts the grains at the same time as it ferments but does not use malted grains but rather molds that secret different enzymes for saccrafication.

I would bet the rice is more to build body and mouthfeel with imparting just a little flavor. But a wine clearing within one month is not heard of so not sure if the rice plays a part in that.

What does the rice add to this method? I don't see any participation from the rice using this practice. I'm assuming it's not cooked. Strange. Sounds like a flat, lime wine that's been infused with rice.

What does the rice add to this method? I don't see any participation from the rice using this practice. I'm assuming it's not cooked. Strange. Sounds like a flat, lime wine that's been infused with rice.

I assume it is mainly for body and mouthfeel for an otherwise thin wine but that is pure speculation.

I assume it is mainly for body and mouthfeel for an otherwise thin wine but that is pure speculation.

I would have to agree. The "rice wine", has much more body than the pure juice wines I've made. It clears significantly faster than regular juice wines as well. The Banana Mango one I started on May 1st is not completely clear yet, but you can see through it already. For those of you who have made Banana Wine before, you know it looks like the dirtiest mop water you've ever seen, and takes quite some time to clear normally.

Back