Harvesting yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BesteBrew

Reaction score
I'm thinking about harvesting some yeast from a recently bottled batch of beer and have a few questions. What I am planning on doing is collecting the yeast from a couple bottles by leaving an inch or so of beer in the bottle, swirling, and pitching into some sort of container. Then refrigerating the container and decanting when it comes time to make my starter, probably a couple days later and pitching directly into the starter. Of course I plan to properly sanitize everything.

First. Do you see and problems with my process?

Second. How many bottles should I collect for say a 1.5 L starter.?

Third. Should I step up before I pitch to the 1.5L starter and if so with what size?

Thanks for the help

Your process looks great.. I have actually done this before.. I only took from one bottle and stepped the start up to what I needed. I cant find the original forum I had used, but found this website. its talks about starting it and stepping up.. pretty much the exact same method I used. only thing I didn't do is use the ethanol to disinfect.

Bottle Condition Yeast Harvesting

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back