Harvesting Yeast - Boiled Jars & Water, left sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigkelker

Reaction score
Greetings-

After boiling my jars, lids & rings, I placed the jars with the boiled water in the frig. In the bottom of all the jars, is a chalky white powder. It is not thick, but troubling. The outside of the jars have a dusty feel.

We have hard water here, so my question... Assuming the powder is the "hard", is it a problem to use this water when harvesting the yeast cake?

Just sounds like precipitated chalk and/or other minerals should be no problem. However, makesure you charcoal filtered or treated for chlorine and chlorimine in some fashion.

boiling the water doesn't take care of all the contaminants? Should I just buy a gallon of distilled?

If your have city water that is treated with chloromine then boiling wont remove it. This the same principal as preparing your brewing water. You could use bottled water if you wanted.

Back