Harvesting lactic and Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockdoc

Reaction score
I am brewing a Berliner Weiss following a recipe I found here. This recipe has you ferment in 2 batches, one with Lactobacillus Delbrueckii, and the other with Brett, then mixing the two batches together for a final product.

I make this beer often, and the yeast is pretty pricey. I would like to harvest the lacto and the Brett from the separate fermenters and store for later use. Any advice or recommendations? Is it wise to harvest and store lacto?

Alternatively, How about pitching a new batch directly on the yeast cakes as an alternative to harvesting and storing?

Thanks!

I always just overbuild starters and harvest a small jam sized mason jar or vial from the decanted starter before pitching. Then I build that back up. You cna store them for months, maybe even years, and still get good results as long as you are considerate to how old the yeast is. Lacto and Brett are super hardy so they would work even better for storage

Good idea harvesting from the starter. I guess I am most uncertain about how the lacto holds up once harvested and stored, but it sounds like you endorse it.

Aside from ranching from the starter, I do think pitching on part of the yeast or bacteria cake should work fine too. The cake will not be as clean, trub mixed in and so, but as viable as can be. That's enough for 3 or 4 batches, and so on. Since it takes long to grow Brett from a small starter, you're a month ahead.

I've heard of breweries harvesting from the kettle after kettle souring. They just repitch each time with no problems, just have to keep an eye on pH with each batch as successive batches can sour more quickly.

Back