Harvesting from bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted464

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bottle of Weihenstephaner (dark hefeweizen), does anyone know if their yeast is harvestable from the bottle? I don't have a hefeweizen yeast on hand and would like to harvest/wash this.

ted464 said:
I have a bottle of Weihenstephaner (dark hefeweizen), does anyone know if their yeast is harvestable from the bottle? I don't have a hefeweizen yeast on hand and would like to harvest/wash this.

If you're determined to go the route of harvesting then you're welcome to, but the classic weihenstephan strain is available through Wyeast. I believe it is 3068.

Just make sure that they don't use a different strain to bottle condition than they do to brew! I don't know of German beers that do this, I think it is more common w/ Belgians, but just something to be sure of..

I 2nd Wyeast 3068. I've been using this on my hefe's for a while now, with great results. I bought it once, but have been harvesting and reusing since..

Back