Harvesting from a carboy w lots of trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marke14

Beer Enthusiast
Reaction score
83297C13-88A1-4789-B259-153A4A5CECA8.jpeg
9AF78282-F238-40E8-8324-1C91EB33021F.jpeg
Greetings HBT,

I recently made the MoreBeer Haze Craze IPA extract kit. Finally got it bottled last night, can’t wait for it to condition so I can try it out.

However, this kit had so many dry hop additions that there is a huge trub-y mass sitting atop my nice clean yeast bed. Please see the pictures.

Is there any hope of harvesting this at this point? Or should I just call it a day and order a new packet of this yeast when I want to use it again?

Thanks

Thanks man - yeah that was kind of my assessment as well. I was curious if there was some kind of secret to dealing with this sort of situation.

Thanks man - yeah that was kind of my assessment as well. I was curious if there was some kind of secret to dealing with this sort of situation.

Agree...I would not try for this one.

Is that the full amount of hops from both the boil, whirlpool and dry hop? It looks like this beer has a total of 10.5 oz hops in the kit. Were some of them whole cone? I am not fully on board with the "1 lb or more hops", but 10.5 does not seem crazy and I have never had a beer with close to this much hop debris in the fermenter. I tend to leave much of my kettle hops in the kettle and the only NEIPA-ish beers I have brewed I used a hop bag for all the whirlpool hops.

Just out of curiosity, which yeast strain was it? I don't mind dumping yeast if its readily available, and relatively cheap. I like to hold onto stuff that is a little "pricier" or not available at my HBS, or seasonal stuff too. Then I just dump trub and all in a jar and make a starter later. But looks like you've got quite a mess there. So I wouldn't bother if it's just us-05 or something.

Latest posts

Back