Harvested SNPA, Want to Store, Wash first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoppaFarms

Reaction score
Hey all! This is my first attempt at harvesting yeast and I have ingredients for a Pale Ale so I figured I would get SNPA's yeast and give it a shot. It is also my first attempt at making a starter with the new stir plate that I built.

I used the dregs from 6 bottles in ~500ml of 1.035 wort initially. It took about 8 hours to really "show" signs of fermentation but it was successful. I crashed and decanted the liquid after 24 hours and then added 1L of 1.035 wort and woke up this morning to a huge kraussen (I think the bar got thrown over night). No worries, a quick swirl and starting the bar again and it went down.

Anyway, my question is this: if I want to keep some of this yeast, should I wash it first?

I have enough liquid right now to in the erlenmeyer to fill 2 pint jars. I could step one of those jars up to pitch into my pale ale later this week. I'd like to keep the other pint jar to use later, perhaps when I have the materials to make slants, or just to brew another beer later.

Should I wash this yeast (with sterilized water) before I put it in the pint jars, or can I just throw the fermented stater into the pint jars?

IMG_4763.jpg

I would split into two jars. Use one for stepping up and let the other one settle. Once yeast is compacted in the second jar (after a few days), replace beer with cooled, boiled water for storage. Don't worry about the trub. You could also just leave the beer on top as it would have a pretty low abv, but i tend to replace with water to minimize bacteria. A rough estimate of the cell count would be 1B cells per ml.

Thanks Tagz. That's pretty much what I was getting at. I know there's very little trub in this because there's no hops or grain (I used DME). There's a little break material, but very little. My main concern was actually the liquid and whether I should replace the "beer" with clean water for storage.

Latest posts

Back