Harvested Columbus hops yesterday, didn't get much, looking for help on recipe ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith82

Reaction score
We picked our first year Columbus hops yesterday and though this year they were not supposed to give us anything, we ended up getting roughly 3/4 an ounce.

Obviously this is not a lot of hops having to add 5 times the amount of fresh to match the effect of your store bought dry therefore I have the equivalent of .15oz Columbus hops, however having a relatively high acidic value, I was debating if I could get away with some good old 'Murican lager, aka corn beer? It doesn't seem this hop is really geared towards this style of beer but I'm up for something different, never stopped any of us before...

Here's what I threw together this morning, I have never brewed a pilsner / lager, just a temp controlled Mocktoberfest. Per Beersmith though this should about match the style:

***EDIT*** - I have since been reading around and adjusted everything to the following recipe:

Columbus Fresh-Hop Lager - 3gal batch:
3.25# US 2-row (72.54%)
1.23# Flaked Corn (27.46%)

120min mash @ 150 (5.6qt water)

60minute boil
0.75oz Columbus wet @ 60 (equivalent of .15 regular Columbus)
1tsp Irish Moss @ 15

Wyeast 2035 - American Lager
1 week @ 55deg
crash down over following 3 weeks
?? weeks at low temp until I feel like bottling, maybe 4 (total 2 months in carboy)

2.9SRM
13.7 IBU
4% ABV

Does anyone want to throw me some feedback on this or help me change the recipe around to better fit the style? I appreciate any and all advice..

Cheers :mug:

Still hoping for a blessing or somebody to shake a finger at this recipe - again, I'm not up to speed on brewing lagers and pilsners so I'd love if somebody would offer some advice if any is needed..

i have been told that homegrown hops are best to use as flavor and aroma hops (late in the boil and dry hopping). the alpha acid levels will not be predictable/dependable, so it's best NOT to use them as bittering hops early in the boil.

Thanks DogPhish, appreciate the response. I went by the LHBS today to get my flaked corn and I ended up grabbing a couple of ounces of Chinook - I haven't brewed with it yet and I've been wanting to, figured why the hell not - out of the style range but meh. Also, they were out of EVERY LAGER YEAST except WY2112 California Lager so I opted for it.

This beer is just going every which direction now, steam yeast, different hops, corn - it's become a mutt.. I love experimenting anyhow so here we go:

Columbus WetHop Lager (3gal)

3.4# US 2 Row
1.3# Flaked Corn

Mashed at 150-151 for 90min

60min boil:
0.15oz Chinook @ 60
1tsp Irish Moss @ 15
0.15oz Wet Columbus @ 5

Wyeast 2112 California Lager

4% ABV
3.0 SRM
15 IBU

We'll see I suppose...

Wow, been almost 6 months!

I did 4 hours of "honey do" yard work today, power washing, lawn mowing, etc... I tossed a sixer of this in the fridge last week and man was it refreshing today. Needs body, I wont brew it the same again, but mmmmmm mm it sure did taste good today.

Latest posts

Back