Harvested Bell's Amber Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbeerry

Reaction score
Alright so I harvested the yeast from 5 bottles of Bell's Amber Ale and stepped it up about 3 times on a stir plate. I have read around about what possible strain this is, many saying its fruitier than 1056/US05 and probably Wyeast 1272/WLP051 (BYO lists these 2 for the Two Hearted clone). I pitched some of the starter into a gallon of Arrogant Bastard clone then stepped it up again to store in the fridge for later.
I put it in my main fridge where it has been for about 8 hours now and I still see bubbles rising to the top of the starter liquid in the flask. Is this normal? Does anyone have experience with this harvested yeast at lower/lager temperatures? Is it just off-gassing, even thought the stir bar should have already done that?
Just curious about what this could be. Have never brewed with this yeast before (or harvested commercial yeast) so the newness factor is competing with my desire to maintain/monitor all aspects of the brewing process, ha

I'm guessing that the yeasticles just haven't gotten cold enough to go to bed yet.. I regularly brew w this yeast. I've never noticed this, but I typically go straight from stir-plate to fermenter. I've been quite happy all around with this yeast. And it's never an issue to grab some Bell's and harvest a fresh batch!

Thanks for info. I took them out and put on stirplate overnight and am cold crashing them again this morn. Thought 8 hours would put them to sleep in fridge, maybe they were still working and it was just CO2 that got into liquid. Just saw 3 Bells beers in Kroger the other day, surprisingly, so will have supply to harvest from! Thanks again and can't wait to see how this yeast does

brewbeerry said:
Thanks for info. I took them out and put on stirplate overnight and am cold crashing them again this morn. Thought 8 hours would put them to sleep in fridge, maybe they were still working and it was just CO2 that got into liquid. Just saw 3 Bells beers in Kroger the other day, surprisingly, so will have supply to harvest from! Thanks again and can't wait to see how this yeast does

Cool, hope it all goes well!

Bell's has in past confirmed their house yeast strain is used for everything except the Winter White, and a few other specialty brews. I usually harvest from Oberon.

Latest posts

Back