Harvest time again - Who's making wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinman2012

Reaction score
It's that time again, anyone making any wine this season?

I plan on making another batch of Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon, these grapes are producing one of the best wines that I've made to date, a real nice smooth, almost velvety Cabernet, not overly tannic or acidic, a real pleasure.
another few months in the barrels and they it should be ready to bottle at 15 months.
I'm going to make a Bordeaux blend from Washington state grapes, Cab Sav, Merlot and Cab Franc.
I plan on making either a GSM, or a Syrah, I haven't decided yet.
I plan on making another Sangiovese from Lanza vineyards in the Suisen valley, these grapes are very nice, a Sangiovese grosso (the grapes used to make Brunello) clone.
Let's hear what your making!

Same here, no grape wines, but plenty of other fruit. I have a tough time maintaining temps, so I have to wait till things cool down some, but I've been processing & freezing fruit for a couple of weeks now. Huckleberry, black plum & cherry. In a few more weeks, it'll be fermentation central at my house. Just bought two 15 gallon barrels, think I'll do a BIG batch of graff this year.
Regards, GF.

Being that I live in Maine, I don't mess with grape wines much.

My preferred wines are 5 gallon batches of black cherry or strawberry. I primary on the fruit for three to seven days in a bucket, splash rack into corny kegs and use a gas connect with a few inches of hose with an airlock on the end to turn the keg into a stainless secondary.

Sounds great! I just got done bottling 8 cases of wine, within the next few days it'll be time to rotate my fall 13 wines out of their barrels and bottle, these batches came out real well, the best I've made to date.

Got a sand plum, a cherry, and a blackberry going so far. Still have two prickly pears bulking along with a cherry chocolate,SP, pear, blueberry pom. Going to be gathering more prickly pear tunas before long.

Planning to make 6 gal of Riesling and Pinot noir this fall. I currently have peach going and just bottled a strawberry. The strawberry turned out real good!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have persimmion (from last years crop), blackberry, and elderberry. Going to harvest more persimmions after we get a good frost.

Sounds great folks!
Helibrewer, I cannot wait to get my Sangiovese next week, I purchase it from Lanza Vineyards, through M&M juice grape Inc; their Sangiovese is amazing, the batch I have aging for the past year tastes identical to a commercial Brunello! A few more months and it should really be where I want it.
I envy those of you that live in California near the grapes, from what I've heard, you can source the grapes a lot less expensive than those of us on the East Coast. I be making a little less than a ton and a half, it will be split up between Californian and Washington State Grapes, I'll get the Californian grapes next week, and the Washington state grapes towards the end of October, this will help to eliminate any rushing around.
My wife and I plan on taking a trip to the California wine country next year.

In the carboys right now I have
4 gal pear
5.5 gal blackberry
5 gal gooseberry
30 gal chokecherry

Got the last of the rhubarb in right before 3 days of hard frost, so I'm getting ready to make 5 gallons of rhubarb wine.

I'm not sure, but I think the frost wrecked the concord grapes that I get from a friend so I probly wont be doing any grape wine this year.

Apples were lousy, coons destroyed my grapes....but peaches were cheap!

12 gal Peach
6 gal elderberry
6 gal blueberry
6 gal lodi cab kit

I have Cherry bulk aging.
We got peaches from a local orchard (cheap) in the secondary.
Two more peach batches in the freezer.

We're waiting for the first frost for the Grapes. Should be soon.
Can't wait!......all my wine from last year is almost gone.

We made alot of friends in the process of sharing it.

Love this new hobby.:mug:

No grape wine this year, although maybe I can make a small batch next year on my 3rd year Marquette and Frontenac vines. Instead of letting the deer browse them to death up at our lake property, last fall I moved them back to our house. They went nuts this year and climbed all the way up and over the 5' trellis I built. Both pretty to look at and should be functional with supporting grapes vines too. Next year I won't cut the grape clusters off like I did this year.

I do have a Berry Rhubarb ready to clear all winter long in tertiary. And a black currant that is about ready to be racked for the first time. A local winery up north, Forest Edge, makes a fantastic black currant wine. It explodes with flavor in your mouth. We stocked up again this fall. And hopefully ours is 75% the wine that theirs is so we can drink it cheaply.

Latest posts

Back