Harevest yeast fermented in jar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo556

Reaction score
Strange occurrence. I went to the fridge and pulled out some PacMan yeast I had harvested from the yeast cake of a stout I brewed. When I looked at the Ball jar the top was curved and when I opened it it fizzed and foamed up.

The beer on top of the yeast layer had carbonated. Obviously there was yeast activity and fermentation after harvesting the yeast and hitting my FG of 1.012.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Should I be worried about wild yeast in there or any infection? Can I still use this yeast or should I chuck it?

There are no issues with the batch of beer this came from.

Yeah has happened to me. Not sure why. Maybe agitation releasing the C02 in suspension?

It's happened to me on a couple occasions. The first time I made a beer w it and the final product seemed a bit off. Either from some wild yeast or bacteria I'm guessing... though it attenuated properly and had no visible signs of infection. After a couple months on tap I had a clear beer and it tasted fine. The other time or two I dumped them as they were several months old

Yeah, it happens ... The yeast get roused when you harvest. Usually warmed a little and resuspended. If they crapped out a little early in the prior ferment, then there are still a few sugars left in the slurry. So they have at it.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it smells off.

Good to know, thanks everyone for the replies

The starter kicked ass and there are no weird smells

Back