hardware suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patricksull

Reaction score
Hello, I stumbled across this forum and have learned lots already. I pressed apples for the first time last year with my neighbor and his big press. I am hooked and want to press cider every year, but not sure what hardware recommendations are out there. I see everything from using a disposal for crushing to a $1200 press for pressing. I like the idea of making my own (wood) but would need a link to buy the metal components that would need to be incorporated. Any direction would be appreciated. To clarify, only need hardware suggestions for pressing apples for cider.

Welcome to the forums. You may have more luck posting this directly in the cider sub forum. Somebody may come by here as well to help out.

Good luck

Yep, it can be quite pleasant scratting and pressing this year's apples while drinking last year's cider!

I made my own scratter and portable rig, and Santa brought me a small second hand basket press. My scratter is based on Claude Jolicoeur's design from his book "The New Cider Maker's Handbook". The book is well worth the $30 or so.

Anyhow, back to hardware. My scratter is timber with a PVC drum with a timber core and stainless steel shaft. It is hand cranked but can have a motor and pulley fitted (but for the volume that I do, I haven't found it necessary).The bearings were simply cut from a PTFE kitchen cutting board and the PVC drum is 100mm plumbing pipe and end caps. I am sure you have similar fittings in the USA. The actual scratting is done by countersunk screws in the drum. These can be adjusted in or out if needed, but the dimensions I used produce about 1/8" pulp which is just about right. I had tried using a cheap fruit pulper from eBay but the bits were too big and didn't press well. I also had the local sheetmetal shop cut and fold some stainless steel liners just to make the cleaning a bit easier.

Dr Google will come up with lots of ideas and designs and I have attached some pics of mine which might help if you decide to DIY. Have fun!

Attachments

• Apple Cider Rig.pdf
    381.7 KB · Views: 14
Back