Hardware part ID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misplaced_Canuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
I recently bought an Oktoberfest beer table, and I've been contemplating making a few more myself from my favorite wood (Maple - of course) and I've got everything squared out except for the leg latch. I can't seem to find this part anywhere in the US - at least so far.

Can anyone point me into the right direction? I've tried all permutation of "latch", hasp", "clamp" and numerous qualifiers without any success.

The German word for that part is "Schnappsschloss" (snap lock), but obviously using that word won't get me a US supplier - if they even exist. If I can't find it, I'll probably use either a spring loaded bolt latch, or a toggle latch.

Thoughts?

a6ae53bd0d0eb52a96eb118170da1731.jpg

MC

Looks like a basic gate latch to me. Google wood fence gate hardware or gate latch. Can be found at Lowes/HD (or, whatever the candian equivalent for a hardware store is) for a few dollars.

Looks like a basic gate latch to me. Google wood fence gate hardware or gate latch. Can be found at Lowes/HD (or, whatever the candian equivalent for a hardware store is) for a few dollars.

Bingo! And a good eye!

I have a similar gate latch like that on my veggie garden gate but I don't think I'd recognize it in that orientation.

Not furniture grade, though...

Cheers!

Bingo! And a good eye!

I have a similar gate latch like that on my veggie garden gate but I don't think I'd recognize it in that orientation.

Not furniture grade, though...

Cheers!

It's similar to a gate latch, agreed, but it's also spring loaded to prevent an unwanted release. Gate latches use gravity to hold the latch down (or a pin/padlock).

It may work in a pinch but I question the safety (and weight capacity).

MC

It's similar to a gate latch, agreed, but it's also spring loaded to prevent an unwanted release. Gate latches use gravity to hold the latch down (or a pin/padlock).

It may work in a pinch but I question the safety (and weight capacity).

MC

There are sprung gate latches. But, spring loading a gravity type would not be insurmountable for someone with enough skill to build a table.

Latest posts

Back