Hard soda vs rum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewde

Reaction score
I had an idea when I saw some rum and bourbon starters (first, I know the rules on distilling and that it's not discussed here). If you were to make a batch of soda, like a ginger beer or cola, then sweetened with lactose, and mix in the appropriate amount of rum ingredients, does anyone know what you would get? I can't find any info on what something like that would be called (maybe still just soda) or if the amount of sugar (9lbs for 6.5gal) would make it too hot tasting.

A creepy drink that makes your lactose intolerant friends all gassy probably.

If you want to add rum and keep it sweet I'd make soda (not hard) or add artificial sugar.

Good point, I was thinking the lactose just as a non-fermentable, but I guess that could cause some problems. This is how I was thinking of adapting the recipe on the package:

Sugar - 9lbs
Molasses - 3lbs
Soda extract
Non-fermentable sweetener
Low ester yeast

Volume - 6.5gallons
O.G. - 1.070
F.G. - .984
ABV - 11.3%

Just from looking at the values of the recipe I think I can assume that it would finish pretty dry and hot, I just am not sure if adding the ingredients of a rum and coke all in one shot make it something other than a soda or if it's still just a soda. I think the amount of the "rum" part (the molasses and cane sugar) would have to be decreased to be a more enjoyable drink. The more I look at it though, the more I keep thinking it's still just a hard soda.

Wait, I think I misunderstood;). How about just use lots of molasses, and a little sugar. Maybe invert the recipe sugar/molasses? Molasses isn't completely fermentable. I'd still say it's hard soda.

Wait, I think I misunderstood;). How about just use lots of molasses, and a little sugar. Maybe invert the recipe sugar/molasses? Molasses isn't completely fermentable. I'd still say it's hard soda.

I wouldn't suggest that personnally, fermented molasses is terrible. If you really want to try this I'd use the suggested recipe and sweeten with xyltiol

I know what fermented molasses tastes like;)..and you do have a point.:mug: we all have bad ideas sometimes

I don't know. I saw this video where someone tried making a non-distilled dark rum. It didn't come out bad, but just weak (obviously). I don't think there would be anything wrong with a fermented molasses beer/wine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back